(15) An Intense Gamble

Was it possible for your life to flash before your eyes when someone else was in danger?

She just rushed right in. Koto didn't even take a moment to explain what her plan was before she acted. I felt ridiculous, standing behind a wall while she risked her life. She shouldn't have to be on constant guard, even with her Hero license. The moment either happened in the span of two seconds or two hours, but I couldn't decide which one.

When it was over, I thought my legs would give out. I had been scared during villain attacks before (I was a UA student after all,) but this was different. This was worse.

Koto signed, but my mind wasn't in it yet. I felt my eyes involuntarily twitch and the sting followed before I asked her.

"I'm sorry, what?"

Koto signed back with so much ease that I almost forgot the last few minutes occurred.

"I asked if you were ready to hit the arcade?"

Seconds more passed before I comprehended what she meant and broke the stare that soon grew awkward.

Like anyone trying to add onto the uncomfortable silence, I answered, "Yeah, I guess so."

We walked the remaining distance to the arcade. My heart was desperate to break out of my chest. My hands, shaky and clammy, tingled with the tics that itched through my nerves. I rubbed them against my jacket, using the friction to ease myself.

As Koto walked a few steps in front of me towards the arcade, I found myself keeping a close eye on her. I knew I had no rational reason to worry that she might leave again and not come back; still, I couldn't pull my eyes off her for even a short moment without the panic rushing back through my breath.

The first few minutes at the arcade passed by in a blur, and I never shook that intense grip on my chest. Every blinking light on the games felt taunting to how I felt when Koto put herself in danger, distressed and unnerving. We played some games together, but I still felt off despite her way of bouncing back like it was nothing. I only then began to realize why the discomfort wouldn't go away.

Whether I like it or not, she's a Hero, and she's going to be put through incidents like that all the time. One way or another, I'll have to learn to deal with the fact that I won't have her around as a friend forever.

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ───── ⊰

Back at the arcade, Rose dominated in air hockey, which led to a close competition between us. Koto and I never brought up what happened, and we each tried focussing on having fun instead, her succeeding more and I.

Rose was a tough competitor, but she failed to realize that air hockey is all about angles, and I loved geometry. We went back and forth until I caved and let her score, yet I'd never tell her that. We continued to play until Double challenged Rose to a round of ski ball, and they headed off.