(8) Thorn In My Side

I already knew what to expect from finals season at UA, but the spring exams had nothing on winter

I already knew what to expect from finals season at UA, but the spring exams had nothing on winter. It was the end of our first year. They had to really test what we knew.

I had to put down my pencil and give myself a pep talk multiple times to keep from melting down. Sadly, that cost me precious time, especially in math. I didn't even finish that one.

As if pouring salt in the wound, Akiba sat next to me at lunch that day, asking how I felt about the exams so far. I was so infuriated I wanted to flip the table, but no need to tell him that. I just plastered on a fake smile to hide my pain and illused something about it being difficult, but I had it under control.

What a lie.

I ended up leaving lunch early to study English in the hallway. I didn't really need to study, but it was the last exam of the day and I just wanted to be alone. I figured it was a good enough excuse that nobody would question it.

I sat down and pulled out my notebook, absentmindedly flipping through pages of conjugation and grammar rules. When I got to my notes on punctuation, I just tilted my head back to rest against the wall.

What do you see when you look at me? I metally asked my parents, looking up to the ceiling. Are you disappointed? I've become so distracted. I've never been a good student. I bet you wish I tried harder. Well, I'm doing the best that I can and it's still not enough.

I squeezed my eyes closed, trying to resist the tears. I had to remind myself that the English exam would go well. I grew up speaking it, so I knew there'd be at least one final that would give me a good grade. I wasn't a total failure.

When I'd given myself enough motivation to continue, I stood and returned to the classroom, preparing myself for another hour and a half of tedious work.

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ───── ⊰

Rose had dropped by the 1-B dorms that night. It was our turn to cook the comfort food for the hero course, so Kita was hanging out with us when the support girl stopped in and requested to spar. I guess it didn't matter what course the students were in, everyone was equally stressed from finals and looking for an outlet.

I was glad to take some time to cook. Raiden was by my side through all of it and, even though I knew he wouldn't admit it, he seemed thankful to have something to do other than study. His tall frame moved about the kitchen with ease. We never really worked on the same dish, rather creating our own versions of "comfort food," but it was nice to cook in calm silence with the guy. After the day I'd had, I definitely couldn't keep up a conversation.

As we went to set the table, Rose snagged my arm. "Hey," she greeted as she put on her shoes to go. "Snake noticed you looked a little off at lunch. I guess that makes sense and all with finals, but if you're looking for something to do tomorrow night, we're having a movie night in the 1-H common room. Just something to blow off some steam after finals."