(4) Thrill Ride

Deep breaths, I told myself, standing in front of my closet

I didn’t mean to be nervous about tonight, but I found my hands shaking anyway. Sure, I knew Rose, Double, and now Rocket just fine, but they had said their other friends were hanging out with them too. If they were anything like the rest of the support class, I was going to be too overwhelmed to think properly.

I’m sure they’re nice, I thought, shaking my head and reaching out for a fluffy tan sweater. Rose’s tastes in friends may be a bit eccentric, but Rocket seems like he just wouldn’t hang around people he doesn’t like. He can ignore them easily enough if he doesn't like them.

I breathed a sigh as I undid the buttons on my uniform shirt and pulled the oversized sweater over my head. Damn nerves, just calm yourself.

I put on a pair of fur-lined leggings, knowing it was going to be cold that night. Whoever decided there should be festivals like this in the winter needed to be punished. I was sure we’d have fun and yeah, winter festivals were really pretty, but honestly, why couldn’t they have had this in late fall or early spring when the cold was at least semi-bearable?

After lacing up my boots, I grabbed my outerwear: gloves, coat, and hat, then headed out. My friends in the common room seemed to be too busy with homework to inquire where I was going. Part of me wished they would, but it was clear I’d have to brave the cold sooner or later.

I squashed my crazed curls underneath my thick knit hat and pushed the door open. The snow had been on the ground for a couple days, but it was the first day since the storm that the sun had come out. The light blinded me as it reflected on the glittery white drifts, causing me to cover my eyes until they adjusted to the glare.

I made my way down the stairs and started my walk to the 1-H dorms. It was at the far end of the row of buildings, closest to the exit of the UA campus. Even from far away, I was able to see the glint off Rose’s prosthetics. What is it with everything blinding me today? I briefly considered going back to get a pair of sunglasses, but quickly shrugged off the idea, not willing to put the effort into that joke.

As I approached the group, I noticed two additional students joining the members of the support department I already knew. A rather tall boy with bandages covering his face nodded in my direction, unsettling me slightly. I was not one for mummies, especially after my uncle and I had decided to watch a horrifying movie from my collection. It had presented itself as an action/adventure movie, but neither of us could sleep the next few nights. Safe to say, the boy’s appearance unnerved me.

His movement brought the attention of my approach to the rest of the group. The other student I had yet to meet was a girl with rattles at the ends of her hair and sparkling golden scales. As I came to a stop next to all them, her bright yellow eyes looked me up and down. She smiled, showing off long, glinting fangs as she turned to Double.