(14) The Gift of a Friend

All I heard for a moment was my heartbeat

All I heard for a moment was my heartbeat. The blood rushed through my ears and a lump grew in my throat. I looked to either side, stepping out of the lockers to examine the hallway, but I couldn't see the dark-haired boy anywhere. I reached a hesitant hand out to grab the vinyl figurine.

At some point between last night and today, Rocket had put the little Merida toy in my shoe locker.

My hands traced the curls, staring into the painted blue eyes. They were slightly askew, as was the case with most Mcdonald's toys. It brought a smile to my face, causing me to recall so many memories.

When did he get this? I thought, once again looking around. I knew it had to be Rocket; I had just told him about my preferred princesses. But does that mean he went back out to get it? Did he just have it? How many happy meals until he got it? Did he spend money on this?

My hands shook as the blood continued to pound at my ears. I blinked, remembering why I was here, to change shoes, as I tried to bat away the butterflies filling me up from the inside.

I was all too used to this feeling; it was one I had only recently sworn myself against. How dare it make another appearance like that? Sure, this wasn't the first time I had felt...something for Rocket, but it was never like this before. I was used to the slightly faster heartbeat, the smile I couldn't hide from him, but why was my heart now trying to hammer its way out of my chest?

I had been content to hide these feelings, figuring they'd fade eventually like they always do. But what I hadn't expected was for this to become another Akiba situation. I didn't even want to think of the pain I had gone through because I let my crush get too far. I couldn't bear the thought of making Rocket uncomfortable about it too.

We're friends, I begged my thundering heart. Stop making it weird.

I bent down to slip the toy into my backpack when a couple friends spotted me. One set of footsteps came skipping up to me.

"Whatcha got there?" Vivi asked.

I just nodded in greeting to her and Suki, holding the figurine out for them to see. It would make me look suspicious if I tried to hide it. "Just a little toy," I illused.

"This looks like that girl in one of your movies," the blue-haired girl recalled

"And you brought it to school with you?" Suki inquired, her eyebrows furrowing slightly.

"Well, no," I responded, shaking my head. "It was in my locker, so I was just gonna put it away."

Vivi cracked a smile of questionable intent. "Who put it there?"

Before I could respond, Suki reached over to my locker. "There is a note." Sure enough, she pulled an index card out. I remembered that it was sitting under the toy, but in my shock, I'd nearly forgotten about it.