(5) My First Carnival

With my stomach in knots, my vision dazed, and my knees struggling to hold my weight, I held a death grip onto the railing of the rollercoaster

   With my stomach in knots, my vision dazed, and my knees struggling to hold my weight, I held a death grip onto the railing of the rollercoaster. I'd be lying if I said it was the worst I had felt, but it was definitely in the top five. I didn't understand why people got so excited about insane rides like this. Sure, I got the adrenaline rush of going up and down the hills, but when it came to the rickety cart flipping us upside down, I'd pass.

I didn't hate it though. The part going up the hill was alright, and I liked when we stopped. I knew Rose and Snake wouldn't rest until I did about three more "big rides", so I needed to pace myself in complaints. It looked like we had reached a stopping point for a second as Double and Snake took spots on a nearby picnic table. I went ahead and sat down next to Dani and across from Koto. I was surprised to learn that she liked roller coasters as much as the others did. She wasn't as crazy about them as Rose or Snake, but she still insisted I face my fears.

When we sat down, Koto looked at me and began to sign.

"How was it?" she asked.

I signed back, "Different...not bad though"

When my wrist flicked up involuntarily, I covered my hands with the sleeves of my sweater. The sun was getting dimmer, but that also meant the weather would be dropping soon. Thankfully though, that seemed to be my only problem. I managed to convince the family to stay home and care for the house, but with my Quirk, it would take a lot more than that to get rid of all the spirits.

I looked around, and for every living person I saw, I noticed a glowing ghost near them. It was nights like these at big events where my vision was clouded with the paranormal light of ghosts as they tried to make small talk with me.

An enderly man named Kyoko talked my ear off about Mahjong and how his grandkids never played anymore. A Russian figure skater that died on the rink called herself Svetlonna, but that's all I could understand from her. She still thought that I would get the point if she just talked louder in her native language, but that was far more irritating than helpful.

It was getting tough to drown them out, but I didn't have much of a choice. I tried to ignore the dozens of ghosts and focus back on my friends.

"Mind if we just chill here for a bit," Dani asked, making sure to pull his wraps down for me. "I'm starving."

Double shook his head at this. "Man, how-how can you even-you even think about food after that-that ride?" Dani shrugged, already taking his phone out and researching a menu online.

Rose was the only one of us to be standing, keeping her arms folded while she looked at the rest of us. "Well, if all we're gonna do is sit around, then I'm going back to my giraffe."

Since she spotted the thing, Rose has held a mild obsession with winning that stuffed giraffe at the ring toss game. I didn't know what she saw in the children's toy, but Rose took a single glance at it and told us she wouldn't be leaving without it.