Grief

"After that little hunting trip-"

"More like a second date." Kurome interrupted.

"It turned out one of ours decided he knew better. I didn't know Stylish well, but that ego was off the scale." Wave continued.

"Honestly, we didn't really care that much. The real inconvenience was the results from the grave."

Five Years Ago

The first few days after the hunting trip were mostly idle. But it had become obvious that one of the Jaegers was absent without leave. Add to that, there was a new assignment.

"We just got word of some new creatures popping up in the south in the woods and mines. Survivor and soldier accounts suggest Danger Beasts capable of rudimentary thinking and working in a group. Kurome and Wave will investigate. You are to find one of these things and return it to us, dead or alive." Run briefed the group.

With those simple orders, the Jaegers dispersed in pairs outwards and moving to the affected area. You had been paired with the resident family man. Though one would not think that at the sight of him.

It was an odd pairing. An assassin wielding two blades among other weapons and a masked half naked man with a flamethrower. Given Bol's appearance and his weaponry, stealth was not an option. So the strategy would be to wander around and wait for them to come to you. Night fell, right around the time these new beasts would be active.

"Rather dull outing so far." Bols remarked in boredom, bathed in moonlight.

"True. Nothing yet." You agreed.

"Honestly, that's something that can be nice. No screams. No violence. Just peace. I wish there was more of that sometimes." Bols sighed.

"Peace is hard to come by for you too huh?"

"It goes with being a member of the Incineration Squad. It's hard to be tranquil when you're haunted by the screams people and villages you execute by burning them." Bols noticeably sagged. You scowled, and he did not fail to notice.

"You're right to judge me. I don't think I'll be forgiven for what I've done. I can only hope that my family's well being makes it worth it."

On this, you softened a bit, but not by much. At least he recognized and carried such a burden. That would have to do as punishment, as it would not end well to attack a teammate for admission to atrocities. Not to mention the idea of possibly depriving one of their husband or father did not sit well with you. Most bandits had no clear familial connections. That said...

"A family?"

"Yes. My wife Kije and my daughter Logue." Bols seemed to liven up a bit. "There's no better moment than spending time with them."

"I can't deny that. Any stories?"

Bols happily went on to share cute and funny moments with his wife and daughter. It was good to laugh. But the empathy and relating to the man eventually brought up a series of negative thoughts. Thoughts related to your past and bonds you once had and you could not keep at bay.

"Hmm. You've gotten quiet. Judging by your reaction, something happened to yours." Bols guessed.

"Gone. Village was burned down with them." When you saw Bols flinch, you put in a key detail. "It wasn't the fire that got them."

SNAP!

The sound of a tree branch being stepped on brought your senses back up to high alert. More rustling accompanied the noise. Something was approaching the pair and it was making no secret about its presence. The detail that confirmed it was not friendly was when you were beginning to make out glowing red eyes.