Verdict

"Well, they did manage it. Without too much trouble actually."

"But that wasn't how it ended, was it?"

"Nope." Wave shook his head. "I'd like to say she got totally forgiven and it was just sunshine and rainbows. But she's coming back with one hell of a ledger. They had to figure something out."

Three Years Earlier

The town of Comberth Harbor greeted the retuning commandeered vessel with a hero's welcome once they saw a friendly flag and then the news that the mission was successful. They had cause to celebrate. A couple years ago was the Empire's collapse and perhaps they celebrated then, but the death of the Minister could be marked as the true end of the Empire.

Despite her reputation, Esdeath was received warmly albeit cautiously by the townspeople. The fact that she had saved them from the attempted raid and then being pivotal in putting a stop to them permanently was sufficient evidence to many that her change of heart was genuine. The additional part of her hunting down Remnants before this would just be icing on the cake.

But the jubilation would not last. The Republic officials of the coastal city had been notified of everything and saw little reason to be any obstacle. However, that did not mean they would shirk their obligations in their reports. There was simply no other way to explain the miraculous destruction of a raiding fleet, never mind the consequences for filing falsehoods. But when you set out with Esdeath, Wave and Kurome on the road back to the Capital, you were soon intercepted.

A whole battalion of crack Republic troops and even a sizable number of your Mando'ade met you on the road, led by Akame. Her orders were clear. They would "escort" the four back officially. Unofficially, everyone there was there for Esdeath. To take her out if she showed the slightest hint of malicious intent.

Esdeath took this all in calm stride. She kept walking on by your side, her face serene. She was accepting that this greeting represented what was awaiting her. Her comfort was you. You would do everything in your power to ensure she would not face the harshest penalty. There would be some form of penalty no doubt. But should Najenda and the government be insistent on it, you would flee with her. Until then, cooperation was the best move. That being said, no one dared to try cuffing Esdeath.

The actual entry to the Capital was done under the cover of night. People would still see her, but it minimized the reactions at least for the moment. Rather than going to some palace, you were taken to a simple headquarters close to the center. Waiting in the lit conference hall for this facility was the leader of the Republic military. Najenda was seated across a long table. With her we're all of Night Raid outside of the arriving Akame. Tatsumi and Mine sat together on one end. Leone and Lubbock were on the other. No words were exchanged as you took a seat to Esdeath's left on the other end. Wave and Kurome were opposite. Republic troopers and Mando'ade flanked the whole room.

"It seems you were successful in your mission (F/n)." Najenda began after a long pause.

"With help." You said in turn.

"Indeed. It's been a while Esdeath." Najenda's tone was striving to be as cold as the woman she addressed.

"It has." Esdeath showed no resentment nor malice on her end.

"I never thought I'd see the day someone would melt the Ice Queen's heart. Yet it's little comfort to the thousands that died before it happened." Najenda went straight to the point. Esdeath did not deny it. Nor did she react in any way.

"Were you responsible for the elimination of Imperial Cells in the past few years?"

"Yes."

"And why's that? Were you hoping that doing our job would make us just let you go free?"