Island

It felt warm when you woke up. Opening your eyes showed skin and the ceiling portion of the bed. Someone else's skin. You could hear soft breathing as well, felling something pressing on you rising and falling. Esdeath's embrace had done well to give you comfort after those uncomfortable flashbacks last night.

Your thoughts went back to the "discusssion" the two of you had earlier. Okay, that was not a discussion. That was a full on fight, complete with swordplay. Nearly fatal swordplay in fact. There was a small amount of guilt now that anger had subsided. On the other hand, you stood by what you said. This whole might made right logic Esdeath had employed upon hearing of the loss of your family was wrong. They did not deserve to die.

That being said, when you thought about it calmly, Esdeath did have a point. Yes, you had seen the tracks of the bandits and failed to act on them. But at the time, you had assumed this was another villager or hunter. It was only after you had found your home and town burning did you see the matching footprints. It was also true that training and skills alone is nothing without the will to act on them.

On top of that, she had a different reaction when you had another one of those nightmares. One would think someone who was about strength and survival of the fittest would chide you or tell you to suck it up. But last night proved that Esdeath had a softer side to her.

"Good morning, (F/n)." Esdeath yawned. "Are you alright?"

"Better." You admitted. "Sorry you had to see that."

"There's nothing to be sorry about. Grief is a natural part of loss." Esdeath's reply almost sounded like a book instead of natural. Had she ever experienced grief?

"We must ready ourselves. There is likely to be more of those artificial Danger Beasts you and Bols encountered." Esdeath rose from the poster bed, not bothering to cover herself besides the shirt. She either normally slept that way, or it was a subtle way she wanted to show off her body to you.

"So I'm going to continue hunting for them?"

"With me this time." Esdeath added with that confirmation.

"Got it." You acknowledged, rising as well to ready for another day of combat.

Timeskip.

In the past few operations, it had been established that when you ventured out, you went by foot. Not this time. Esdeath directed you not to the gates of her estate, but to another location entirely. It was a vast chamber. And it's one occupant turned its attention to the new arrivals.

It was a Wyvern. Two hind legs and a pair of wings over a red scales body. The large draconian beast first eyed Esdeath and it bowed its head with two horns. Then it's attention turned to you. You did not break eye contact with the yellow slits that were its eyes. It settled back to the ground. This place was its stable.

"I take it we're flying on that." You said.

"Indeed. And it is a she." Esdeath affirmed.

"How do you know it's female?"

"Female Wyverns are larger and more aggressive than males." Esdeath stated. She straddled the creature's long neck, finding a spot on a saddle that adorned that part of the Wyvern's body.

"Mount up."

As soon as you took position behind the general, the Wyvern rose. A block of ice rapidly formed on a chain next to a large door, the weight of it not only brought the chain down, but it opened the door that was a portcullis. Which meant that not only had Esdeath tamed a Danger Beast, but it was arranged in a way that only she could use it.