Burial

"A lot happened after that, all in a blur. We were on the outside of things, lying low. We didn't know what exactly happened. Akame was all we had for info. The only thing we did know was that the Emperor and General Budo were dead. The Revolutionary Army took the Capital and were establishing their own government."

"If either of them were dead, then we would have gotten word. So Kurome and I knew they were both alive. Biggest couple's fight ever." Wave chuckled. "Akame found him over Budo's body unconscious. There were ice weapons in him and his soldiers too. So we knew she obviously helped him, but that was it."

"That was it?" The historian asked.

"What did you expect?" Wave scoffed. "That she'd stick around and be fully redeemed? That everyone was just gonna lower their weapons? That people weren't gonna demand she hang? Hell no! She was the head of the Empire army and responsible for more than one atrocity! He was only a recent recruit and he could only vouch so much for her. And think about it. She just had to choose between him and all she's known. No one's gonna be alright after that."

"But then...."

"Let's focus on what we know happened." Wave cut in.

Five Years Earlier

When you felt consciousness again, you could feel yourself lying down. The soft comfort of bed sheets and covers made for a soothing cocoon. So you knew you were alive.

You opened your eyes and then scowled. It was a bedroom. The same one in that place you were staying in before getting "recruited" by Esdeath. What were you doing here? What happened? Or maybe what did not happen? Did any of your time with Esdeath exist in reality?

On cue, the door opened. In walked Leone.

"Heard ya stir. I figured you'd be better in your old place." She greeted cheerfully. "If I wasn't there, Akame would have dumped you in a field hospital."

"Okay.... What happened?" You asked.

"We won obviously." Leone smirked. "Emperor's gone along with Budo and we took the Capital."

"And what about the Prime Minister? Esdeath?"

The blonde frowned. "That's the bad news. They've both disappeared."

"I'd worry more about Honest really." You said.

"Ya sure that's not just your feelings talking there?"

"It's not just feeling. She saved me." You rebuked. "How else would you explain the cause of death for Budo's men?"

"Good point, but Najenda's not gonna see it that way."

"Too bad for her that's what happened." You said dismissively.

"Speaking of the Devil, I was told to go fetch her when you woke up. Enjoy the breather while you got it." Leone walked out the door, closing it behind her. A few minutes later, Najenda walked in.

"Well (F/n), it seems you were a key part of our victory." She began.

"..... Maybe."

"Maybe? Helping Tatsumi kill the Emperor, he's fine by the way, and killing a top general was a maybe?" Najenda questioned.

"We didn't get Honest." You repeated to the Night Raid leader.

"We didn't get Esdeath either." She added.

"I'm not sure she's a threat anymore." You mused.

"Why? Because she's sweet on you?"

"Because she hasn't come out. If she was truly against you, she'd have rampaged through the city with no one to stop her."