The Return

The explosions of shells lit up the town of Comberth Harbor. Splinters rained around you as you struggled to regain your eyesight. The wails of the citizens began to accompany the explosions. Without hesitation, you ran towards the port. There was not much you could do about the bombardment per say. But you could do something about the landing that was going to happen.

You jumped up onto the rooftops. The reason was two fold. It would be much more straightforward getting to where you needed to go rather than navigate unfamiliar streets. That and you could at least see the shells coming. Each salvo sent rods of light arcing to a fiery end in the port. One particular set landed in front of you, forcing you to jump over the ensuing explosions. You landed on a yard arm facing the water. Illuminated by the visual flares, multiple boats rowed their way to shore. Imperial uniforms were expected.

But the more eye catching part was the monstrous misshapen abominations with them. More artificial Danger Beasts inspired by the late Doctor Stylish. Worse still, these seemed to be tamed. Tamed to be obedient to the Imperial Remnant. And this time, Bols was not there to apply the initial treatment for this. That said, you had found out that there was something hotter than fire.

You jumped up high over the closest of this landing flotilla. Lightning rained down from your hands. Imperial remnant and their Danger Beast slaves howled as they burned and convulsed. Some of them fell over the side and made sufficient room to land. You did, throwing out a repulse for the rest. Such was the power that most of the occupants of that landing vessel were evaporated. The ones still flying were largely beasts in flames.

You reached out and gripped one of them midair. Eyeing the next closest landing ship, you threw it down on the vessel. It blasted a hole into the hull, and explosions from ammunition cooking off. Spotting another of these things still on the descent to water, you telekinetically caught that one and redirected it to another ship too.

It was disrupted when you heard a loud hiss close to your head. Instinct made you drop to the deck as more bullets whizzed overhead. There were too many to dodge or deflect. And if you stayed in cover, you would be just as dead.

What about the water?

Concentrating, you reached out mentally, making a motion as if you were trying to scoop water up. The landing ship rocked around and you could hear the water move. The fast moving, glowing projectiles suddenly stopped. Peeking your head up, you saw you had managed to throw up a wall of water. Bullets meant for you came to a halt harmlessly in it.

On instinct again, you moved your arms outward. A water repulse. The waves jerked the neighboring boats and threw off the Imperial aim. But as you looked around on where to jump to next, the boat you were currently on lurched violently. You fell back down to the deck, but quickly got back up. The landing craft had hit one of the docks. Other enemies had managed to reach them and were making their way into the town.

You wasted no time getting first on the dock's boardwalk and then quickly closing the gap on the first squad of Imperials you found. One telekinetic push sent them on a fatal flight. Then came more of those Imperial Danger Beasts. Two of them turned around and bellowed. In that time your now glowing blades decapitated one, then you threw Stormbreaker onto the other's disfigured heart. It crumpled and you called the saber back to you.

You could see civilians desperately trying to find a place to escape or hide from their marauders. Some were shot, others being grabbed and knocked out. A flash of steel brought your attention to another combatant. Kurome was here, and cutting through any attacker with Yatsufasa. She was not using its undead feature though. There was no hint of emotion either. Like her big sister, Kurome simply saw them as targets.