Story

"We were sent over to hunt down members of Night Raid and cover one of our own in a religious group." Wave continued.

"The Path of Peace." The historian named what he was referencing.

"Yeah. Them." Wave nodded. "The whole point was to protect one of our insiders in this group. We knew that Night Raid would probably be there as well. Hell, we gunned for them as soon as we got a location. There was going to be a clash soon."

"Our records show that they used two of Night Raid and Najenda as bait, their orders being to take out two of yours." The historian stated.

"We figured as much. We knew it was too convenient when we began setting off for that locations. But if it was true, then we would've done a lot of damage to the Revolution, and we could probably take a few of them with us."

"Of course, that didn't stop the lovebirds from bonding some more."

Five Years Earlier

The caravan taking the Jaegers to the distant town of Kyoroch continued along the trail. Owing to the lack of immediate Danger Beasts capable of taking more than two people, the convoy was classic horses. You were at the front on horseback alongside Esdeath.

"This isn't a Danger Beast. But it will do." She said.

"Hmm. You said Night Raid was likely threatening the inside man in the Path of Peace. Their whole belief is that good deeds equals happiness and longevity. Does the Empire really believe a pacifist organization threatens it?" You asked.

Esdeath shifted a little bit for more comfort on her mount. "Don't be so quick to believe one's intentions based on titles. To many, overthrowing a government or killing is good deed."

"Regardless, that won't be an easy person to protect if Night Raid is gunning for him." You said.

"True. But that is a talk for another time." Esdeath said. "You told me of your birthplace, but not truly how you came to be. Tell me more about this mentor of yours."

"How I became the Dark Knight? That person was born in flames."

Fifteen Years Earlier

Tears streamed down your face, serving to obscure the carnage that was once home. The houses were ablaze. Several of the flames began to burn the butchered corpses of the villagers. But worst of all was your home. The fact that nearly all of your possessions and memories were becoming ash was the least of it. No, it was your parent's bodies.

Your father's head was separate from his body. And your mother.... clothes ripped apart to bear her naked body to the world. Such a body was bruised, particularly on the neck, blood streaming from her throat and nether regions. Such scenes would be the cause of nightmares and crying in your sleep.

You knew you had to leave. But looking down the road from the ruins, you found footprints. Most of them looked to be boots and sandals, and among them was bare feet. Guilt overwhelmed you. They were same tracks you found while hunting earlier in the day. They were responsible. Guilt turned into overwhelming anger. They were not going to get away with this! Your grip on your bow tightened. It was time to hunt a new form of prey.

For the rest of the day, you tracked. You did not even stop to forage for food or drink. All that mattered was making the bastards pay. Night fell, but the trail did not go cold. That same hodgepodge of boots, sandals and that one set of bare feet.