Interrogation Time

It was pretty lucky that Xander dragged me to investigate the body quickly, because a few minutes after we left, the police arrived and went to go check for themselves. A normal person probably would've showed them the mysterious note, but as I've proven before, I'm not exactly normal. And neither is Xander, but in a good way.

I went to go interrogate the Generic Names (that's what I'm calling them now), while my friend went to go talk with Elly and Jane.

It was hard to get anywhere because of all the students running around. They'd mostly calmed down by now, but classes had been cancelled for the rest of the day and some were still freaking out. Eventually, I managed to track down the Generic Names, who were studying in an empty classroom.

They looked up as I walked in, and immediately made nasty faces. "What're you doing here, Samboy?" Generic Name 1 sneered. I inwardly sighed. This was going to be difficult. Being mean is literally their only characteristics.

"I just wanted to know if you two knew anything about... about the murder?" I said hesitantly. A smart person probably would've taken a more subtle approach since they could just lie, but I'm about as smart as I am normal. Which is not at all. Damn whoever created my personality.

"No, of course not, idiot." Generic Name 1 snapped. "We were smoking behind the school when we heard the scream. We had nothing to do with the murder, so get out."

"What do you know about Faith?" I blurted, suddenly desperate to get an answer out of them. Generic Name 1 flinched back a bit, looking surprised by my outburst.

"Faith? Blonde, unimportant, only exists to have her personality filled in by the fandom who are desperate for more than four characters?" Generic Name 2 asked. I nodded. "I don't really know anything about her other than a rumor that she was dating Will's brother, Jack."

"Wait, what?" Generic Name 1 turned around sharply. "I never knew about this!" Generic Name 2 shrugged.

"Well, it was just a rumor." He said reasonably. "I saw her holding hands with Jack during music class last week, but that's about it."

I started to get the feeling that this was all just part of some random subplot, so I quickly got out of there before they could turn they attention back on me.

Well, that was pointless. I thought, hoping that Xander had better luck than I did.

I waited behind the school just like we'd agreed. Half an hour passed by, and he finally showed up, looking mildly excited. "Did you find anything?" He asked right away. I shook my head.

"No. They were totally clueless." I sighed, disappointed in my lack of usefulness in this story so far. Seriously, it's like Xander is the main character instead of me.

"It could've been an act." He pointed out. "Then again, I don't think they're smart enough for something like that, but you never know. Better not cross them off the list of suspects. Anyways, Elly and Jane were being girly and dumb as usual, but Jane told me that Faith had started hanging out with someone else about a month ago, and that he might be worth investigating."

I perked up at this. "Really? Who?" I asked curiously. From what I'd seen of Faith, she didn't seem like the type of person to meet new people. I don't want to disrespect the dead or anything like that, but Faith was honestly pretty shallow, like all background characters.

Xander looked thoughtful, and I knew he was guessing what I was thinking. "He's that new student from America, remember?" He said.

"His name is Nathan."