Suspicion and Ships

When I went to hell— I mean school the next day, I saw Xander waiting for me by the entrance. He beckoned me over and whispered to me, "I found him."

"Found who?" I whispered back. He rolled his eyes. "Nathan, remember? I went digging and found his picture online. Apparently he was expelled from three high schools for unknown reasons." He revealed in a hurry.

"That's ominous." I muttered as Xander pulled me away by the arm. I'm pretty much used to him doing this by now. "What if he really did murder Faith?"

"Then we'll present the evidence to the police and let him face justice." He replied quietly. "But for now, he's just a suspect."

He lead me towards the back of the school, where most of the mysterious and creepy events take place in this book. Cigarettes were littered aross the floor, and an emptied out dumpster sat against the brick wall. A door leading to a weirdly placed janitor's closet, filled with stuff like brooms, mops and buckets.

"What are we doing here?" I asked, confused.

"We're waiting until the end of the day." My best friend answered. "There's no way we'll be able to catch Nathan in the halls during school hours. He's a year ahead of us, and from what I've heard, he's been pretty introverted ever since Faith died."

"That's... awfully suspicious." I murmured, feeling my heart sink. Could Nathan really be the killer? But if he was, why? Did it have anything to do with Eteled? Since when did the background characters become so relevant to the plot? And what about Kyle? Does he have anything to do with all of this?

"Wait." I said, suddenly remembering something. "What about class?"

Xander snorted. "Seriously? Some girl died yesterday. No one's gonna be paying attention. And this is way more important. We can't risk Will or any of his friends distracting us. You know how they are, they're just a bunch of one-dimensional jackasses."

That was true. Not to mention that even if they tried to help, they wouldn't be particularly useful anyway. Bullies aren't exactly the brightest lightbulbs in the attic. The tastiest french fry in the McDonald's happy meal. The sharpest tooth in the Tyrranosaurus Rex. The most healthiest cow in the farm. Their elevators don't exactly go to the top floor. Fell out of the stupid tree and hit every single branch on the way down... well, you get my point.

I sat down, leaning against the brick wall. "So what, we just wait here for the next eight hours?"

"Yup." Xander replied nonchalantly, sitting down next to me.

We sat there in silence for a few minutes before I spoke up, "You know, there's something I've been meaning to ask you."

"Yeah?"

"Do you think people ship us?"

He choked on air in shock. "Wh- What???" Xander spluttered, so surprised that there were two extra question marks at the end of his sentence. I hit him in the back to help clear his throat. I'm not sure if that actually works, since I've only ever seen it in books.

"Calm down, it's just a question." I said, rolling my eyes. "I mean, what would our ship name even be? Sander? Samder? Xam?"

"No one ships that, right?" Xander sounded panicked for the first time, and then groaned. "Who am I kidding, of course people ship us. Everyone knows that a boy and girl can never just be friends in fanfiction."

I wanted to ask if he thought there were fanfics made of us, but decided to just leave it be.

Sighing, I listened as Xander began ranting about fanfiction tropes and clichés. This was gonna be a long day.