Chapter 1~ A Small Dispute

Grian opened his eyes, feeling the warm sun shine down onto his face. He smiled as he sat up, flexing his multicoloured wings. Standing up, he straightened his jumper and brushed a hand through his hair, flattening out the few strands that had been messed up during the night. Grian checked the time, noting that he'd agreed to help his friends fix the Boatem Pole for the millionth time. He glanced around his room, grabbing what he needed: his tools, some snacks for the day, and his communicator. He grabbed the communication device from his bedside table, holding it carefully before strapping it around his left wrist. Grian turned the communicator on, checking his few messages. He smiled as he checked the main chat, seeing that some shenanigans had taken place in the time that he'd been asleep.

Turning the device off again, he stepped out of his room, being greeted by a playful squawk from his parrot friend, Proffesor Beak. He gave the parrot a pat on the head before checking the time again and deciding that he had no more time to waste. Stepping outside, Grian watched all of his friends talking calmly.

He frowned, realising that he was actually the last one to arrive. He stepped forwards anyway, catching Impulse's eye.

"Hey, G! We're glad you're here!" Impulse called, alerting the attention of the other Hermits.

Grian waved as he strolled over, careful to avoid the deep hole.

"Hey Grian! What took you so long?" Pearl questioned playfully.

"I may have overslept a little." Grian laughed sheepishly, giving a greeting nod to Mumbo and Scar.

"Well, regardless of any delays, I think we should get started! Who has the boats?" Impulse asked, glancing around.

"I'm pretty sure Scar had them last time I checked." Pearl suggested, drawing all attention to Scar.

"No, no I passed them onto Mumbo since I didn't trust myself to keep them all safe." Scar explained himself, once again blaming another Hermit.

"What? You didn't give them to me. It was Impulse, remember?" Mumbo stated, smiling nervously.

"Hey, I didn't get any boats!" Impulse shouted, the situation escalating further.

Grian stood to the side, unsure what to do as the others argued. They all began blaming eachother, hardly even relating their insults the current predicament. He fiddled with his hands nervously as all of his friends fought, confused and a little overwhelmed with all the shouting. He thought for a moment, listening in to the fight and trying to break it up by muttering a few 'please stop's or nudging them to get their attention. Grian was only met with failure though, the others almost entirely ignoring him.

Eventually, he built up the courage to get their attention properly, stepping back slightly and taking a deep breath to prepare himself.

"Guys, stop fighting!" He shouted over the sound of insults and profanities, which were rarely heard from most Hermits.

He spread his wings and arms out to try and get their attention, his tactics working as they all quietened to see what he and to say.

"We can just go and make some new boats! It shouldn't matter that the boats got lost. I know they were important to us as a part of Boatem's history but... it's not worth all this fighting. I should have some wood in my chests. I'll go look for it now whilst you guys apologize to eachother." Grian suggested, leaving everyone to shamefully mutter their regrets and acknowledge their mistakes.

They were a little embarrassed that Grian was the one who had to stop them fighting when usually the avian was the one to let an argument spiral into a war. Grian was glad they stopped but knew that there would probably be unnecessary tension between the group for the next few days due to the fight.

Grian made his way back inside again, glad to be away from that stressful environment. He opened all of his chests, double and triple checking each for any type of wood. Surprisingly, he didn't find any. He found it very strange that he had no wood at all amongst the various chests but guessed that he moved it all down to his Midnight Alley at some point during it's construction.
However, Grian did find a few emeralds which gave him the idea to use his overpowered trading hall beside Midnight Alley. He stuffed the shiny gems into his pockets, making his way outside again.
The others were hesitantly agreeing to forgive and forget that the incident had happened when Grian returned.

"Hey, guys. There isn't any wood in my chests but I can trade for it in my trading hall. I should only be a few more minutes." Grian called out as he passed, earning nods from the others as he jogged away.

He quickly reached his Midnight Alley, smiling at the progress he'd made but swiftly moving on and travelling down his relatively dangerous makeshift tunnel. He strolled merrily over to his many villagers, trading his emeralds for each type of wood that was needed. He said goodbye to the villagers, making his way to a crafting table to craft the boats. Grian made sure he had all the boats, throwing his leftover wood into a random chest that he had honestly forgotten about placing. He smiled, about to leave when he felt a small buzz on his wrist from his communicator. He usually only had his notifications on his communicator for when there were important notices from the server or when his name was mentioned in the chat.

Grian supposed that it would be the latter of the two since Xisuma usually told them if anything was happening regarding the server and it's wellbeing. Just to be sure, he turned the device on, glancing over the few messages which had been posted since he last checked and then scrolling down further. What he read next made his blood run cold and his eyes glance around the small room, afraid of even the presence of his worst fear. Beads of sweat dripped down his face, becoming paler as his mind raced with possibilities. What had just happened could change everything.

A notification had been entered into the server's main chat:

SamGladiator has joined the game.