Chapter Twelve

"Tommy I swear to god I will shoot you in the back if you don't stop being an idiot," I said, absolutely 100% serious as Tommy ran around in the open fields of Rust. He looked at me in-game and ran back over to where we were at.

"You are ruthless (Y/N)," he said as the rest of the boys laughed at my honest threat.

Today, I was able to make some real progress in my book, so I decided to jump on the games with the boys for a while. It had been some time since I had played with them, and it felt like a real needed stress reliever. Tonight it was Tommy, Tubbo, and Wilbur, but it was additionally Fundy and Techno. I had not been able to stick to my decision to talk to Techno less, he pulled me in with almost no effort, but I was happier for it.

I just had to keep the way I felt a secret from Wilbur.

"She may be ruthless, but she's pretty cool doing it," Fundy said quickly. Wilbur continued with a well-timed gagging sound. Tommy and Tubbo lost it, but I just felt uncomfortable. We may have had a flirty banter in the past, but with Techno in my life, it just felt childish.

I tried to brush it off, as well as the noted quiet from Techno after Fundy's comment, but it was bothering me somewhere deep in my heart. Not knowing how he was feeling made me anxious, especially after I had brushed him off when he had a bad day before.

"Leave my bestie, (Y/N) alone please you are all gross individuals," Tommy said as he aimed at the group before him. I giggled slightly, if not at the fact that he would die almost immediately if the group retaliated.

We continued to play, enjoying the chaos that was Tom Simons. There was a sort of comfort in his presence. Being able to fall behind his loud and chaotic persona, while also knowing he will have my back makes for an experience I know I couldn't get without him.

As always, I was eager to go on raids. I enjoyed the systematic work of raiding another player's base, and the loot wasn't half bad either. We ran through the wasteland, joking around while we looked around for bases that looked well fortified, but with easily exploitable flaws. With good defenses, comes good loot.

"Look at this one guys," I heard his deep voice ring out through the call. I felt my heart jump at his sudden comment. He didn't talk much in groups, which was a lot different than our private calls so hearing his voice was exciting to me.

"Techno!" I heard Wilbur yell in excitement. "That base is perfect! I could kiss you right now!"

"Well thank god this is over a Discord call then," Techno said with a laugh. The younger boys laughed as well, but I had already found myself focused on how to exploit the cracks of the base ahead of us. It luckily looked like the players weren't online, which gave us some additional time, but you also don't want to leave yourself exposed for too long, especially with the amount of loot we had from other raids.

"(Y/N), go around back and make sure there aren't any turrets inside with that glitch you found," Tubbo said as he started the first step of our full-proof raiding system. I don't respond, starting to inch my way back, looking for land mines. The boys take their positions, and we begin our process.

"Turret on the left wall, doesn't look super strong though. They had too much faith in their exterior defense," I said with a laugh.

"Let's go, boys!" Tommy says before running in. I followed in behind, watching at the door in order to protect our back. There was a wave of excitement as the boys started their looting, and I was excited to see what we would split up once we returned to the base.

They made quick work of the base, and it wasn't long before we were on our way back to our own base in order to drop all of our loot off. If there is one thing I've learned playing this game, it's that you don't want to walk around with too many valuables.

"We did such a good job on that raid!" I said as we were approaching the base we had made. "Like it could not have gone better, and their loot was incredible!"

I walked into the base first, and the boys all followed me in. Tommy and Tubbo agreed that it was a great raid, and went into putting their stuff away. I found my way to my personal chest, deposited a few items I knew would be most helpful to my skill set and walked back to the group.

"We wouldn't have been able to do it without the perfect plan from the perfect woman," I heard Fundy say through the call. He was getting a little bolder with his flirting, especially with Wilbur in the call but it continued to make me feel weird, and I assumed I wasn't the only one. "What the hell, Techno!"

It sorta happened really fast, but Techno had raised his character's weapon and killed Fundy almost immediately after his comment. Wilbur hadn't even had time for his signature vomit noise. I was somewhat stunned by the action, unsure entirely why he would do that.

"Sorry," Techno said extremely unapologetically. "Finger slipped."

"That must have been a whole spasm," Tommy said while bursting at the seams with laughter. "A perfect headshot isn't exactly a slip!"

"Whatever, I think I'm going to get off anyway. I didn't sleep much last night," he said before his character left the game and he left the Discord call. I felt my heart sink slightly at the fact that he was no longer playing with us.

"Okayyyy well that was odd," Fundy said walking back into the base and collecting his things. "What should we do now?"

"I think I'm going to get off. I am feeling beat from writing so many pages today. I'll catch you guys later!" I said before exiting almost as quickly as Techno.

From: Tommy

Could you have made that any more obvious?

I just rolled my eyes and moved on to the next thing. Figuring out what the hell just happened. I didn't even waste time texting him, I just called.

"I'm going to bed, what's up?" He said rather irritatedly as he answered my call. It broke my heart almost immediately, but I knew there had to be something wrong. This wasn't normal for him.

"What's going on?" I said coming off like a concerned mother. I sorta cringed at my bland display of feelings but I couldn't take it back now, and maybe it would melt away the shield he seems to have put up suddenly.

"(Y/N) it's not a big deal," he said with a much warmer voice than before. "It's just hard to listen to Fundy talk to you like that. Like you're some kind of object. I haven't heard you say anything flirty back to him, but he continues on without caring that it makes you obviously uncomfortable."

Did he really just kill Fundy in a game because of his flirty comments? My cheeks were the darkest shade of pink I had ever experienced. I could feel the heat radiating off of my now somewhat flustered body.

"That's the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me," I said with an equal mix of sincerity and teasing.

"Having someone impulsively kill their friend in a video game? You really need better friends," he said with his familiar heartwarming chuckle. It felt okay again. Like HE was okay again. I felt the worry rush away and it was replaced with just pure joy to be in a call again. Then a sudden burst of confidence and no common sense.

"I might just think that you're a bit jealous," I said without thinking. Oh my god. I had been thinking about the possibility of it being a jealous reaction, somewhere deep in my hopeful side, but I can't believe I just said it to him with no hesitation.

"Well," he said with a slight awkward chuckle. "I won't necessarily deny that."

Wait what? He wasn't denying it. My comment had definitely made the situation awkward, but now I'm glad I asked because he was now sending my head into a 'what if he sorta likes me' spiral. Luckily he just continued onto a new subject so we didn't lean into the awkwardness, but it was leaving my head spinning.