Chapter Twenty Two

The walk to the beach was actually much quieter than I had really expected. After so long of talking on the phone, I really thought that we would get together and not be able to stop the chemistry. Although, a lot had happened since we had talked last, and the tension was a firm reminder that it needed addressing.

It was definitely winter in Brighton, the beach was grey and truthfully this didn't seem like the setting for a huge romantic moment. Maybe this was actually just the end. We would clarify we were strictly friends and although I would be happy he was in my life no matter what, I know I'd be leaving the beach with a bit of a broken heart.

When we arrived at the shoreline, the tide was much higher than I had expected. There wasn't much room to go down and enjoy the view together, so Techno pointed out a bench on the boardwalk and we decided to sit. It was getting harder to look at him. I'm not sure if it was from the desire to melt when I looked into his eyes or the fear that this may leave me sad.

There were a few moments of silence as Techno seemed to be taking in the view in front of us. I couldn't truly enjoy the waves right now, as the tension was becoming nearly too thick to handle. I felt like I was squirming in my seat, unsure of what to say and hopeful he would speak first.

"Oh god (Y/N)," Techno said as he looked back at me from the shoreline. "You're shivering. Here."

Okay maybe the grey sky would have no effect on my rom-com moment.

Techno pulled the jacket he was wearing off of his arms, revealing a long sleeve shirt that fit him kindly. I hadn't even noticed that I was shivering, but now that he had said something, I did notice that the Brighton winter breeze was freezing myself to a core. I hadn't expected a long heart to heart when I dressed in my professional clothes this morning or I might have gone for a sweater.

He slipped the jacket around my arms and the warmth that his body had provided only moments before settled on my body. I hadn't ever thought about the fact that he would have a scent, as all of our prior conversations were virtual, but I couldn't ignore the smell of warm vanilla and laundry detergent that came from the jacket over my shoulders.

"Thank you," I said with a bit of a dumb smile. He smiled slightly, obviously nervous as well. I wasn't sure what to say, but the tension was becoming suffocating and my brain didn't stop the words from coming from my mouth. "I really missed you."

"You have no idea, (Y/N)," he said in a quiet voice. I looked down to my hands, letting myself nervously pick at my fingers. "I thought you didn't want to talk to me anymore. When you went to Tommy's for your break, I didn't hear from you at all."

My heart broke at his words. It hurt to know that I did push him away, but I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised. I felt there was no other option when I had that fight with Wilbur. I tried to will myself to look back at him, but the guilt made my head hang. So I began to explain.

"That weekend, I was talking to Tommy about you and Wilbur heard. He flipped out and we got into a rather large argument," I said finally able to peel my eyes off my hands and look up at him. He was looking at me with the kind eyes I had grown to love over Facetime. "I just told him that I would stop talking to you and focus on my book. So I did. And I regretted the decision everyday but when I tried to reach out, you wanted nothing to do with me. Which I understand! And that's why it's so hard to believe you're here now."

He seemed to be digesting the words slowly. He looked from me back to the waves. It made me anxious with worry as I waited for him to respond to me. My heart was beating so fast and all I wanted was for him to know how much I cared for him.

"That weekend," he started, seeming unsure of his own words. "Fundy came and met up with you guys. It felt like you were trying to hide that from me."

I hadn't even considered Techno's jealous behavior towards Fundy to be one of the main reasons that we stopped talking. I had forgotten Fundy was even there. I wanted so desperately to have Techno back in my life that I hadn't even thought that there may have been more to this than just me disappearing on him.

"I didn't know that he was coming until he was there," I said, turning toward him. It was all making sense now. Just a few miscommunications. "I had already had the argument with Wilbur by the time Fundy and Niki showed up. All I wanted was to text you back, Techno. I'm really sorry I ever made you feel like Fundy meant more to me than you."

"It isn't that I'm all that worried about Fundy being in your life. I'm pretty sure you like me more than him. I don't like that he is attracted to you," he said, not able to meet my eyes. I couldn't stop myself from reaching out to rest my hand on his forearm, which was much nicer to the touch than I had ever anticipated.

"What do you mean?" I said trying to let him explain before my mind went places and made me hopeful.

"I don't want him to be attracted to you because I like you. A lot."

He battled to look at me, but when he did it took everything in me to not kiss him right then and there. My heart nearly stopped when he said the words. He felt the way I did. I didn't need to worry anymore. All the late nights together, all of the text messages, the jealous acts against Fundy. It was all because of the way we felt for each other.

"I like you so much, Techno," I said without breaking the eye contact we couldn't break. His shoulders relaxed and the smile on his face was unlike any other. I felt my own lips spread into the widest grin I imagined possible.

Then his lips were on mine. His hand reached up to hold my face in his grasp and I melted into it as I had dreamed of. His lips worked on mine with a sense of need. He kissed me like he would wake up from this dream any moment. He kissed me like I was all he ever wanted, and I kissed him back with the same ferocity.

I could've let him kiss me all day. Feeling his touch felt like a thirst being quenched after months of wait. I had subconsciously awaited his touch from the moment we met. It took all of my strength to not pull him back in the second he began to pull away.

"Tommy is going to lose his shit when he hears about this," I said with a laugh. With our foreheads still touching, I could feel his laughter on my lips and it melted me the way it always had.

"Oh but all I want to do is stay here with you forever," he said gently. I couldn't stop myself from planting another kiss on his lips, which he hungrily took in. He was everything to me, and I think he was finally all mine.