Part Seven

Sara woke up to the bright sun shining on her face and she squinted, looking around and unsure of where she was. After a moment of collecting her thoughts, she remembered the previous night and the fact that she was on a road trip with Dean. Then she looked at the time.

"It's four in the afternoon?! Oh, my god. I slept for-- Oh, my god."

"I'm glad you got sleep," Dean said, looking down at the girl who scooted her way to the other side of the car and eyed him warily.

"Dean, pull over."

"What?"

"Pull over, dammit!" He did as he was told, looking at her quizzically. She hopped out of the car, walking to the driver's side. Dean raised his eyebrows, shaking his head as he realized what she was asking. "Scooch. Or I'm gonna shove you." He stayed where he was, looking around the car and anywhere but Sara's eyes. She threw his door open, unbuckling his seatbelt and squeezing herself into the driver's seat with her butt. Dean let out a slurry of curse words and 'are you kidding me's' but moved over after he was pushed out of his seat.

"Sara--"

"Shut up, go to sleep," she said, putting the radio on to Dean's favorite station. He tried to object a few more times, but once she got back on the road he moped on his side of the car. Sara kicked herself for sleeping that long, knowing that Dean would've let her sleep the rest of the way if he could've. But now it had been more than 24 hours without sleep for him, and she was not going to let that slide.

"Am I gonna have to knock you out or something? Just go to sleep, please."

"Can't. I'm too stressed with you driving my baby."

She scoffed. "Trust me, tall one, nothing is gonna happen to your baby. Just shut your eyes and catch some z's." She looked at him briefly, smiling a bit at how his face looked just like a kid's when they don't get their way. More seriously, she said, "Please. For me."

Dean groaned, muttering a quick 'fine' and turning over to rest his head on the window. Satisfied, Sara focused on the road, following the street signs to where she needed to go.

--

To Sara's relief, Dean slept straight through until about twenty minutes from Stanford. He woke with a start, likely wondering where he was like Sara did. She looked over to him, grinning at his droopy eyelids and drool still falling from the side of his mouth.

"Sleep well, princess?"

Dean glared at her, but looked around at the scenery outside the car. "Where are we?"

"Ah, about twenty minutes to Stanford." He sat up quickly, banging his head on the roof of the car and wincing.

"I slept the whole way? Sara, what the hell?"

"I slept for twelve hours, you slept for twelve hours. A little more than that, actually, but that's besides the point. It's only fair."

"No, Sara, I shouldn't have slept that long."

"Relax, Dean, you were basically a zombie when I pushed you over there so it was definitely well needed." Dean sighed, resting his head on the head rest. It was now dark again, streetlights few and far between on the back road that they were taking.

Soon enough, they arrived at the university and Dean got out of the car after telling Sara to wait there. She went to object, but the car door slammed shut and she was left to mumble under her breath. It took awhile, but she eventually saw Sammy walking out with an annoyed expression on his face. She jumped out of the car then, running up to Sam and squeezing him in a tight hug.

"Sammy!" She squealed, feeling his arms wrap around her waist and twirl her around.

"Sara! It's so good to see you," he said after he put her down, a smile on his face. He looked over to the door that she got out of, his smile being replaced by a look of awe. "Dean let you drive?"

She laughed, "I didn't really give him much of an option." Sam chuckled, looking back to Dean who was walking slowly to the driver's side of the car. Sam climbed into the passenger side and Sara slid into the back seat of the Impala, bringing her knees to her chest.

They began to drive, the brothers catching up awkwardly. Suddenly, Sara gasped, causing Dean to swerve slightly.

"Oh my gosh, Sammy, don't you have your interview on Monday?"

Sam and Dean looked at each other, and Sam laughed. "Yeah, yeah. But we're gonna be back in time for that. Right, Dean?"

Though she couldn't see it, she could practically feel his eyes roll. "Yes, we'll be back in time for your preppy law-school interview."

"Great," Sam said, satisfied.

"Sara, how did you even know about that?"

"Like I keep telling you, Dean, I keep in touch. Unlike some people."

"Oooooo," Sam sang, punching Dean in the shoulder. Dean muttered a quiet, 'shut up,' and focused back to the road. They began to make their way to Jericho, the place where men had been disappearing mysteriously on a bridge. Sara listened as the boys shared conversation about what it could be, their theories and possible lore they would need to dig up. After a while of them talking, Dean looked at Sara in the rearview mirror with a glint in his eye.

"Hey, Sammy," Dean said.

"Yeah?"

"Guess what Sara did on our way here?"

"What?"

"Made out with a chick. And got high." Sara pursed her lips and rolled her eyes. Sam, on the other hand, just looked mildly impressed.

"Okay?"

"'Okay?'"

"Yeah, Dean. Looks like you're the only one not groovy with the times," Sara quipped, leaning back in her seat.

"Groovy with the times, what are we, in 1969?"

"Hey man, it's not my fault that she preferred me over you." Sara had a smug grin on her face, pleased that this conversation hadn't gone the way Dean had wanted it to.

Sam laughed, looking back to Sara and giving her a fist bump. "Aw, she took the air outta your sails, huh Dean?"

"Jesus, why is the whole world against me right now?"

"It's not, we just don't like your disapproving demeanor," Sara leaned forward, poking at Dean's cheek. He looked back, an unreadable expression on his face.

"No, not disapproving. I mean, I was shocked. Thought Sam would be too. But... It was-- Uh, it was hot."

Sara raised her eyebrows, surprised by how forward he was. However, Dean cleared his throat, clearly uncomfortable and regretting the last thing he said. Sam tried to continue the conversation, as fun as it was for him, but Dean interrupted him and began talking about the case again. Sam and Sara shared a glance, Sam reluctantly letting it slide for now.