Part Nine

They stopped at a rest stop about an hour away from black water ridge. The three of them got out of the Impala to scope around for a car for Sara to take. This wasn't on her list of items that she wanted to do in her life, but stealing a car seemed to be necessary at the time being. Sam and Dean stood watch as she hotwired an old looking blue dodge truck, hopping in when the engine sputtered to life. Dean had gotten a license plate off another car, switching the one on the truck while Sara gathered her things from the Impala.

After tossing her things into the passenger seat, she turned to the boys with a glum expression on her face.

"I'll see you guys soon. Please, please call me if you need anything at all. I'm always here." The boys nodded, and Sara hugged them both. First Sammy, giving him a reassuring squeeze and a soft pat on the back. Then Dean, the hug lasting longer than a normal one might've. She pulled back, her hands holding the front of his jacket. "I mean it. Anything."

"You, too," Sam said, his eyebrows furrowed but his lips pulled into a tight smile. Sara nodded, taking one last look at the boys before climbing into the truck and shutting the door. The boys didn't walk back to the Impala before she drove away, exhausted but ready to see her brother again.

"You think she'll be okay?" Sam looked at Dean, the question that stirred in both of their chests brought up.

"She's Sara. She'll be fine," Dean said, trying to reassure himself more than anyone. Sam nodded, leading the way back to the Impala.

They began to drive then, making their way to Black Water Ridge. Dean looked to the back seat every once and awhile, being reminded that Sara wasn't there anymore. The car was quiet, without the sound of her humming along to the music.

--

Sara picked up her phone and pressed on a contact named 'Avery' and held the device to her ear. It rang a few times, but then the call's recipient answered.

"Finally," it was a female voice, husky and exasperated. "Where are you?"

"Coming back to South Dakota. We can meet, I'll send you an address. I'll be there in five hours." Sara had been driving already for almost six hours, and exhaustion was pulling at her eyelids. But she had to get this over with.

"Okay, no flaking on me this time. You know what will happen."

Sara didn't reply, only shutting her phone with anxiety crawling around her chest. No music played in the car, a sort of punishment for herself for what she was doing. It was a painful drive, but she got to the address she sent Avery just after dark.

Avery was tall, slender, with long black hair and angular eyes. She wore a professional looking outfit, carrying a duffel bag over her shoulder. Sara compared herself for a moment to the put-together lady, looking down at her own low-rise baggy jeans and college sweatshirt she stole from Sammy.

Sara walked slowly to meet the taller woman, looking around cautiously.

"Aw, what? Afraid that I'm breaking our deal? And what's with the look? Very... I am Legend."

"Let's just get to it, okay?"

Avery shrugged, beckoning Sara to follow her with her finger. The two women walked into a warehouse, Sara wishing she had scoped the place out before giving Avery the address.

"Mm," Avery grunted, a disgusted look on her face. "When I told you secluded, I didn't mean rapey-murdery dungeon looking place."

"Beggars can't be choosers," Sara muttered, following closely behind Avery. The pair walked up to the middle of the space, Avery placing the duffle bag on the ground and motioning for Sara to sit. She did, reluctantly, and watched as Avery emptied the duffel bag and sat on it.