Part Thirteen

Sara woke up alone in a hospital room, eyes heavy and head throbbing. She looked around, the memories from the last time she was awake flooding into her mind. Her eyes widened, and she sat bolt upright in her bed. Just then, Sammy walked through the door, eyebrows raising when he saw that Sara was awake.

"Woah, woah," he put his hand out, as if to stop her from getting up any further.

"What happened?"

"Car accident." His face darkened. "A demon possessed a truck driver and hit us. I think you took the brunt of the hit, but surprisingly you only have a concussion."

"Great," she said, ripping the IV from her arm and standing shakily. Sam made a move again to stop her, but she merely glared at him. He backed off, and her gaze softened. "Where's Dean? And John?"

"Dad's awake, I just talked to him. Dean is..."

"What?"

Sam sighed shakily. "He's not looking so good. Doctor said we won't know the extent of his injuries until he wakes up."

Sara paled considerably, wobbling slightly where she stood. Sam grabbed her arm, and she took hold of his sleeve with the tips of her fingers. "Take me to him."

Reluctantly, Sam walked arm and arm with Sara toward Dean's hospital room. She was dizzied at the sight of him-- tubes sticking out every which way, heart monitor beeping steadily and a machine assisting his breathing. She drew her arm gently away from Sam's, pulling a chair to sit next to Dean. She grabbed his hand, squeezing it as if she expected him to squeeze back. He didn't, and Sam watched as tears dripped quietly from her eyes.

"I'm sure he'll be okay," Sam said, trying to reassure himself as well as Sara. She nodded, her eyes traveling over Dean. Sara stayed in the room while Sam went to grab coffee. He returned a while later bearing a ouija board. Sara looked at him questioningly, but joined him to sit on the floor.

"Dean, are you here?" Sam asked after the pair put their hands on the planchette. It moved slowly to 'yes,' and Sam and Sara eyed each other as if to say, 'was that you?'

"What's going on, Dean?" Sara spoke this time, her voice shaky. The planchette moved then to the letters h, u, n, t, i...

"Hunting?" Sam asked. The planchette returned to 'yes.'

"What are you hunting, Dean?"

R... E... A... P... E... R...

"A reaper?" Sam and Sara both spoke at the same time, looking at each other with concern.

"Please be careful, Dean," Sara said softly, taking her hands off the planchette. She stood, getting a headrush but still walked out of Dean's room. She walked to the cafeteria, having finished the coffee Sam brought her and desperately needing more. Sam followed her to the cafeteria, likely wanting her company.

The pair sat down at one of the tables after Sara prepared her coffee, sitting quietly and ruminating over the past couple hours.

"Do you think he's gonna be okay?" Sara asked after a few minutes of silence.

Sam didn't hesitate. "Yes. I can't let myself think otherwise." Sara nodded, taking another sip of her coffee. Sam got up and went to grab something, coming back a moment later with a couple muffins. Sara eyed the muffin warily, like it would jump out and bite her.

Sam placed the muffin down in front of her, watching as she didn't pick it up.

He chuckled half heartedly. "Gee, Sara, it's no wonder you've lost so much weight. When was the last time you ate?"

She ignored his question, picking a little piece off the muffin and putting it in her mouth to satisfy him. It stuck in her throat like all food tended to these days, and she grimaced before washing it down with her coffee. Sam watched the whole thing, looking as if he were trying to decide between dropping it or pestering her about it more. He only sighed, looking at her with mild concern.

She gave him a little smile, feeling like she owed it to him to at least try to explain. "I don't know what it is, I just have so much trouble bringing myself to eat these days. I've basically been surviving off protein bars, since they're small and have some of the nutrients I need."

"I'm worried about you, Sara."

"Don't be, really. I've got it under control, and it's not like I'm doing it on purpose."

Sam nodded, seeming happy that she didn't just shove him off the issue. Sam finished his muffin, and Sara pushed the rest of hers toward him which he took and ate slowly. They talked about other things then, things not pertaining to the current issues. Neither of them said it, but they couldn't bear to think of what the future could hold at this point.

They walked around the hospital once Sammy finished eating, stopping in to see John and then Sara taking a call from Bobby. She made him promise not to tell Joey what had happened, as it would only just make him upset.

The time seemed to go almost backwards as they waited for any updates on Dean. Sara grew more and more dizzy as they walked, though she didn't want to sit because every time she did, she felt like she was going crazy.

Her pace slowed considerably by the time they entered Dean's room once again, and Sam looked back to her questioningly. She tried to smile at him and say that she was fine, but another wave of dizziness hit and she put her hand on the wall.

"Sara?" Sam's voice seemed to come from far away, and she did her best to focus on her breathing. The hand that wasn't resting on the wall went to her chest as she tried to will herself not to pass out. Sammy's face swum in front of her and she vaguely felt his hands grasp her shoulders. She felt herself fall as if in slow motion, hearing Sam yell her name. She was barely aware of Sam grabbing her from hitting her already concussed head on the floor, how cool the floor felt on her bare arms.

Sam yelled for help then, a nurse rushing in and helping get her back to her hospital room.