Part Twenty Three

It was days before Sara woke up. She had regained consciousness briefly a few times, but never long enough to communicate or eat or anything. When she did, her head thrummed and the gashes on her wrists ached.

Dean watched as her eyebrows furrowed, sitting forward on the couch and taking her hand in his.

"Sara?" She opened her eyes ever so slowly, finding Dean's tired looking ones.

"Dean," she mumbled, blinking a few times to rid the blurriness from her vision. As she recalled what had happened, she felt guilt creep up her throat. "I'm-- Dean, I--"

"It's okay, Sara."

"No, it-- It wasn't me."

Dean looked at her, hoping that she would confirm his hunch. "So you didn't want to...?"

She cleared her throat, sitting up with the help of Dean. "Don't... Don't get me wrong, I did. A really big part of me did for a long time. But that decision wasn't made by me. I wasn't in control of what I was doing."

Dean let out a long sigh. "Thank god. Sara, I-- I really don't know what I'd do if I lost you."

She smiled up at him weakly. "Well, I guess it's a good thing you guys keep saving my ass."

"I'll never stop."

They gazed at each other intently then, moonlight shining in on their faces and a fire flickering weakly in the back. Dean looked as though he wanted to say something, but couldn't find the right words. The house was quiet, everyone except the two of them fast asleep upstairs. Dean's eyes flicked from the stairs, to Sara's eyes, and down to her lips. Before he could talk himself out of doing it, he placed his hand gently under Sara's jaw and kissed her.

Her eyes went wide, mind exploding with every emotion. She didn't have the chance to kiss him back before he pulled away, face redder than a cherry and eyes looking anywhere else but her.

"I'm-- I'm so sorry. Just-- uh, just ignore that. I don't want to lose--"

Sara was shaking her head. "Shut up," she said, hooking her fingers under his jaw and kissing him, smiling slightly as he grunted before deepening the kiss.

The kiss was slow and gentle, but the passion made up for the years of longing between them. Both of their hearts were racing at the fact that they knew now that they each returned the other's feelings.

They broke apart after a long while, breath heaving and hearts still racing.

"Did that just happen?" Sara asked after a couple seconds.

"I... I guess so," Dean looked into her eyes, searching for any ounce of regret and only finding pure wonder.

"That was the best kiss of my life," Sara muttered, not really intending for Dean to hear.

"Mine, too." She looked into his eyes again, looking for regret just as Dean did.

"Can I-- can we--" Dean cut her off with another kiss, this one much shorter than the last but quieting any doubt either of them had.

Just then, they heard a wolf whistle from behind them. They sprung apart, looking to see Sammy standing with a grin on his face.

"Well, it's about damn time!"

** Hello, lovely! This is the end of book one. I never really intended to publish this, but after awhile I figured, why not? Sorry this part was so short, I had all of this on a google doc and didn't really notice how short the last chapter was. In any case, I'll publish the next book if this ends up getting readers! So please comment or anything so I know you're here! Thank you for reading! :))