Part Eleven

December turned to January, and Sara, Joey, and Bobby celebrated the holidays together. She talked to him numerous times about going home to New Jersey, that she hated to be imposing on him like this, but he told her every time that he was happy to have their company. On Christmas, he did seem genuinely thrilled to have someone to celebrate with other than his collection of liquor.

Dean's birthday, January 24th, quickly approached and Sara was very conflicted on whether or not she should call him. Though her mentality was slowly improving, she had lost a bit more weight since her little shopping trip. Luckily for her, she bought the clothes a little on the small side and they fit her perfectly at present. She worked hard to maintain this weight, losing any more would surely make her look horribly unhealthy.

Joey had been doing phenomenally in his online classes, and Sara was beyond proud of him. He was put into advanced classes for his next semester, and she took him out to a special dinner to celebrate. He even read the full Lord of the Flies book, reluctantly admitting that he really enjoyed it.

Bobby was doing as Bobby always did, cleaning up messes for hunters, researching, drinking. He was thankful to have Sara there to help him on the research front, and it took a big load of work off of his shoulders. It took him a while to get used to the 'emotional intelligence' of having her live with him, but he seemed to be doing better all around.

Dean's birthday rolled around fast enough to make Sara's head spin. She still hadn't come to a decision, and watched the sun rise with a frown on her face. The day went on, and she couldn't come to a decision. By the time five o' clock rolled around, she heaved a big sigh and picked up her phone. Before chickening out, she pressed Dean's contact and brought the phone up to her ear.

It only rang twice before Dean's voice sounded on the other end. "Sara?"

"Hey, happy birthday."

"Thank-- Thank you. Wow, I didn't even realize it was today."

"Really? Well, I guess I should've called earlier. How old are you this year, forty seven?"

Dean scoffed, mock hurt sounding in his voice. "Twenty seven, thank you very much. How old are you, nine?"

She hummed. "Twenty two."

"Wait, twenty two?"

"Yeah, Dean, that's how birthdays work. They come around once a year and poof-- you're older."

"That's not what I mean, how did I miss your birthday?"

"I'm just gonna let you think about that for a minute."

"...Oh," he said awkwardly after a moment. "I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you this year."

"And when is my birthday again, Dean?" She was fidgeting with her fingernails, having quite a bit of fun making the man uncomfortable.

"Uh... Seven... Teen? October..." She could practically see the thought straining his face, causing her her first real laugh in months.

"Don't worry about it, my birthday isn't important to me. I'm just messing with you." A huge sigh sounded from the other end of the phone, and she chuckled again, briefly forgetting how hurt she was by him.

"When's your birthday, Sara?" She sighed, knowing that Dean was not going to drop it.

"November 26th. Happy?"

"November 26th. Wait, wasn't that the day you called--"

"It's fine, Dean. Forget it." She could practically feel the guilt emanating from the other line, and a part of her was satisfied with that.