one

I shuffle my feet, then look up at the high school before me. Westerburg High. My new stomping grounds. I guess I should get used to it. Not too used to it, though. Never know when I'll be leaving again.

I sigh as I follow the crowd through the doors. It's chaotic here. Everyone's pushing and walking in different directions and paths to their lockers, classrooms, or friends. Weaving in and out in a sort of routine tapestry that they've learned to adapt to. Everyone but me. No, instead I walk to the office. I head inside.

"Excuse me," I say to the guy sitting at the front. He looks up from his computer. "Hi. I'm new here. Could I get a schedule and locker combo, please?"

"What's your name?"

"Y/n l/n."

"Alright. Lockers are fifteen dollars for the whole year. Will you pay now or-"

"Yeah, I'll pay now." I reach into my pocket to grab my wallet, pulling out a few bills. I hand them over. He takes them, tucking them away, and then gives me a slip of paper with a combination and locker number.

"What grade are you in, y/n?"

"Ah, twelfth." He offers me a smile as he types into the computer.

"At least you're not stuck here for too long, huh?" I grin.

"Yeah. Good point." The printer creaks awake, and he promptly pulls the sheet of paper out, offering it to me.

"Hope you don't end up here often. You seem like a good kid, y/n." I nod, taking the schedule. "Happy first day."

"Thanks." I turn away, heading to the exit of the office. I step back into the crowded hallway. I slowly locate my locker, inputting the combination on the slip of paper. As it opens, I slip my bag off my shoulder, plopping it inside. I slam the door shut, locking it and heading towards my first class. As I step in, I can't help but notice people looking at me. I choose a seat at random.

"Hey." I glance to my right. A guy in all black is seated beside me. I nod in acknowledgement. He smiles a bit. "You're new too, huh?"

"... Too?"

"I just moved here a week ago." I feel a smile on my face.

"Nice."

"I'm Jason. Call me JD." I offer a hand.

"Nice to meet you, JD, I'm y/n." He shakes my hand.

"Nice to know we're not alone in this, hm?"

"Yeah." I unzip my binder, pulling out a notebook and pencil. "And here I thought I'd be singled out and isolated." He laughs lightly.

"I have been. Unfortunately. Everyone here is so tight-knit into their friend groups that no one bothers to even look at me."

"Well, hopefully I've changed that by talking to you." He smiles.

"We both have a fresh start ahead of us."

"Oh, yeah." I watch as two girls walk in, one dressed in green, and the other blue. JD follows my line of sight.

"I see you've noticed Veronica and Duke." I glance over at him. From the direction of the girls, I can hear guys trying to talk to them.

"Popular?" I ask. JD blinks, then nods.

"You're observant. How'd you know?"

"They have the regal air to them," I say sarcastically. "The guys are all clamoring to get close to them. It's kinda obvious." He laughs lightly.

"Funny how new kids always have the capacity to notice the small things."

"It's a skill you refine over the years of loneliness and solitude." I give him a flourishing bow. "I assume you have it, too."

"Kinda have to. Useful when you need to find the right people."

"Exactly." I glance over at the two popular girls. "You said Veronica and Duke?"

"Yep. Veronica Sawyer, Heather Duke." He sighs. "Part of the Heathers."

"The... Heathers?"

"The four richest, meanest, most powerful girls in school. Everyone bows down to them." He laughs shortly. "And three of them are named Heather." I stifle a laugh.

"You're joking."

"I'm not. Chandler, McNamara, Duke." I laugh aloud.

"God, that's funny." He grins.

"Very. Can't believe they decided to do that."

"And Veronica's the outlier?"

"Excuse me?" I flinch at the new voice. Glancing behind me, I meet the eyes of none other than Veronica Sawyer herself. I open my mouth.

"Ah... Hello."

"Hi." She crosses her arms. "Hey, new kid." I swallow. If she really is a popular girl, then she'll stop at nothing to make my life a living hell if I give her a reason to.

"Veronica, right?"

"Mmm. But it seems you know that already." I shut myself up. She examines me. I don't know if it's better to look away or maintain eye contact.

"Mhm."

"What's your name?"

"Y/n. L/n." Her eyes flicker up and down, as if I'm her prey. I look away.

"Nice to meet you." I look over at her. She holds out a hand to shake. I cautiously take it. She gives me a half-smile, then turns away, walking back towards her friend. I let out a breath, then glance back at JD. He stares.

"She didn't crush you." I shake my head.

"Thought she was going to."

"Me too. Lucky you." I nod once. Great, now people are looking at me. I assume it's because I almost mockingly mentioned a popular girl and walked out alive. Not just alive. No, I introduced myself and everything.

"What the hell...?" I mutter to myself. Last school I was at, I was targeted by the popular girls for being a loner. I was targeted by everyone. But I learned to adapt. So this is an odd feeling for me.

"Weird, huh?" I snap back to reality, looking over at JD.

"Very." I sigh. "I'm usually the punching bag, being a new kid. But what the hell does this mean now?" He shrugs.

"Guess you'll find out soon enough."

"Yeah..." I focus on the blue clad brunette from across the room. She rolls her eyes at something Duke says. My eyes focus on my desk.

I'll figure it out.

I find a parking spot and park my car, getting out and opening the back. I yank out my suitcase, slamming the door shut. I adjust my backpack, heading towards the doors, where people are rushing inside and saying goodbye to relatives, making frantic phone calls and unloading taxis. There's a place to pay for a parking spot, and I follow its instructions. I look around for my flight, then hurry over, quickly checking in my suitcase.

Well, here I am.

Security goes by quickly. I packed light and made sure everything I had was safe. And I'm travelling alone, which definitely adds to it. I find my gate and an empty seat, settling down.

I'll be back in Sherwood soon.