fifteen

I don't know how long I sit in my car after I pull into the driveway. But I do know that it's too quiet now. It's too calm. But it's a bad calm. It's the calm that comes when a snowstorm rolls over, slowly blanketing the ground in cold until you look outside and realize just how much has been left.

My phone buzzes. I pick up.

"Hello?"

"Y/n, you did it!" I hear Chandler yell. I blink a few times.

"Did what?"

"Don't do that, you kissed her!" I focus on the steering wheel.

"Right."

"I mean, come on. I knew she liked you." She snickers. "She told me like, a day before today." I swallow hard.

"Uh huh."

"Anyways, you kissed and she's freaking out so much. Everyone else is, too." She laughs aloud. "I mean, Mac and Duke figured out your crush all on their own. We were all waiting for you to do it already, and you did. You fucking did!" I clear my throat.

"I did." It's painful. Hearing the joy in her voice. Because I know that if I were to listen to it tomorrow, there'd be everything but joy. I sigh softly.

"Hey. What's up?" She asks after a second.

"Nothing."

"Well, cheer up, I think Ronnie wants to ask you out soon. Be prepared." I feel tears in my eyes.

"Mm." So if I'd stayed for a little longer, I'd have a girlfriend. No, I'd have a girlfriend and friends. And a school. And a home. And a graduation ceremony where I parted ways with them then. I'd go on dates and have fun with people. Maybe I'd get an academic award for something. Maybe I'd gain another friend. Maybe I'd get to experience all my teenage years that I missed. Instead, I get this.

"She's so happy, y/n. Good job." Tears trace their way down my face. I wish I could say the same thing about myself.

"Well, that's good."

"So, need any date ideas?" I look down.

"I have to go. Sorry."

"Oh. Right. See you at school with your new girlfriend, yeah?" I clench my fist.

"Yeah," I say softly.

"Good, well bye, y/n, have a good-" I hang up. It's so frustrating. I look down at my phone. Since I'm saying goodbye, I need to do some things.

I open my contacts.

Mac. Duke. JD. Chandler. I delete each of their numbers. When they call I'll block or ignore. My finger hovers over Veronica's.

"Fuck," I whisper to myself. I close my eyes. Why is this so hard? I sigh quietly, resting my head in my hands. I know why. Because Veronica likes me back. That's why it hurts so much. When I delete this contact I guess that means I'll truly cut ties with her. Because the person I fell for is the last person that I want to let go. And when I let her go, that means that the bonds I formed here because of her will disappear.

And I'll disappear from their lives.

I stare down at Veronica's contact.

I unlock the door, getting out and grabbing my shoes from the back. I head up to the steps of the house, opening the door and quietly closing it behind me. As I round the corner, I watch my dad walk down the stairs.