eleven

"Okay, I think we're done." I slowly open my eyes, looking at myself in Chandler's mirror. I examine the makeup on my face, my beautifully done hair. I glance behind me at Chandler, Mac, and Duke, who look at me with satisfaction.

"Well?" Duke asks. I smile a bit.

"You guys are the best." I stand, offering them a hug. They oblige, although Chandler is as disinterested as always.

"Of course," she says, quickly pulling away. I grin, then open the door, heading towards the washroom. I knock.

"Veronica, you done yet?" She promptly opens the door, now wearing her dress. I smile. "Woah. You look so amazing." She gives me a slight curtsy.

"Well, of course I do," she says sarcastically. I giggle lightly.

"Okay, well get out. I'm gonna change." She steps out of the way, and I hurry inside. All our outfits are hung up, except for Veronica's and JD's. They already got ready. I pull my dress off the hanger after slipping off my clothes, being careful to avoid messing up any of the Heathers' work. I slip on the dress, looking at myself in the mirror. I look good. I slowly turn, examining myself from all angles.

"Y/n, we still need to change, too," Mac calls from the other side. I open the door, and am greeted by the head cheerleader's wide smile. "I love it. I love it!" I laugh softly.

"Me, too, Heather." She gives me a quick hug, sliding past me into the washroom and pushing me out. I yelp, stumbling forward a few steps. I head downstairs, where JD and Veronica wait. JD has a huge grin on his face, looking at Veronica, who's blushing furiously. I raise an eyebrow. "You two good?" They both look over at me.

"Oh, definitely," JD says. Veronica mumbles something in agreement. I sit beside her.

"Hey. You okay?" She noticeably avoids my eyes.

"Hm."

"Alright." I smooth down my dress, glancing at JD. He raises his eyebrows, giving me a mischievous smile. "What do you want?" I ask with a grin. He shakes his head.

"Nothing, y/n. I just think it's funny." I frown.

"What is?" His eyes flicker to Veronica, then back to me. He shrugs.

"I guess you'll see." I frown a bit.

"Okay...?" Mac shortly joins us. Veronica still doesn't look at me. I gently nudge her. "Ronnie?" I ask as JD and Mac go off on their own tangent.

"Yeah?" She asks.

"You okay?" She finally looks at me.

"Yeah." She smiles. "I'm great." I return her smile.

"That's good." She nods, looking down slightly.

"Hey, um, can I talk to you for a sec?"

"Of course." She stands, and we head out to the back porch. I glance over at her after closing the door behind me. "What's up?"

"I, uh..." She trails off. I raise an eyebrow.

"Veronica?" She scratches her neck, leaning on the railing. I follow her lead. "Is something wrong?" She sighs.

"No, nothing's wrong. Don't worry." She clears her throat, looking out into the darkening sky. I focus on her, waiting for her to tell me something. I move closer.

"Veronica, you know you can talk to me, right?" She nods silently. "So if you need to, do it. I promise I won't judge or-"

"I'm just really glad I got the chance to meet you." I stop talking.