twenty-two

Sunlight streams into a room that isn't mine. I open my eyes, groaning as the light blinds me. I have a good feeling in my heart and for a minute I forget why. Then I remember. And that thought sends me spiraling into giddiness. No one's in bed beside me, but I don't feel alone. I slowly sit up, examining the room around me. It's a room in Heather McNamara's childhood home. A room in which Veronica Sawyer fell asleep in my arms last night.

I stand, yawning as I head to the door. I open it and head down the hall to the stairs. I hear voices in the kitchen as I walk down.

"She rises," Chandler says as I walk into the kitchen.

"Where's Veronica?" I ask immediately. She gives me an amused smile, leaning on the island.

"Her, Ram, and Kurt are heading to your hotel to pick up your stuff. JD doesn't have a car or anything rented, so they're picking him up, too." Last night I had sleepily suggested that I just stay here for the rest of my trip. Veronica agreed.

The smile on her face was priceless.

"Oh," I say. She smirks.

"Why? Do you miss her that much? You were sleeping in the same bed and everything. Clingy, much?" I feel heat prickle at my ears.

"I was just wondering," I mumble. I feel hands on my shoulders, gently squeezing. I glance over at Mac.

"Yeah, I think y/n has a right to know where Veronica is," she says. She wraps her arms around me, suddenly overly dramatic. "Her long lost lover has been brought back to her, so-"

"God, you two are so annoying," Duke mutters as she peers out from the pantry. She gives me a small smile. "Congrats with Ronnie, though." I groan.

"I just woke up. Give me a break." Duke grins as she walks out of the pantry. She sits at the island, resting her chin on her hands.

"So... Are you guys an item now?" She asks with a smile. I blink.

"No."

"Really?" Chandler asks in disbelief. "But... How could you not be?" I look at my hands, sitting down beside Duke.

"I dunno, I just didn't ask," I say simply. The three of them stare at me in a mix of frustration, confusion, and almost concerned awe. "I'd like to be."

"I mean, of course you would," Mac says, settling on my other side.

"So she's not your girlfriend yet?" Duke groans. "Maybe you should stop being a chicken and ask her out already."

"I know, okay?" I sigh. "I just don't know what I'd say." The door opens before any of them can give me a sarcastic, exasperated response. JD walks in, my suitcase in hand.

"Morning, y/n," he says. I smile.

"Jason, hey." I walk over, taking it from his hands.

"You're awake." I glance over at the open door where Veronica enters. I give her a smile.

"Don't act so surprised." She shrugs, walking towards me.

"Shame." She gently holds my face in her hands, pressing a kiss to my cheek. "Didn't get to kiss you awake." I feel my cheeks flood with heat.

"Veronica..."

"Well, it's true. You were so cute when you were asleep." She kisses my forehead. "I just wanted to kiss that look off your face." My face is hot. I look away, fiddling with my suitcase.

"That's so unfair," I mutter. I don't even need to look at our friends to know that they're grinning ear to ear. Here I was, telling the Heathers that Veronica and I aren't together. And then she had to walk in and be the flirtiest person ever. I'll never hear the end of it.

"Sorry," she says with a grin. I head to the stairs, carrying my bag up. I push it into Veronica's room.

Something about this makes me happier than I feel like I should be. I don't know. Maybe it's because she's acting so casually about the two of us. I look out the window. Last night she pulled me up to her room and we talked for God knows how long. It's like she unlocked a door inside me. So many things that I left unsaid had just spilled out. It seemed to be the same for her. After all this time, we're still in tune with each other.

"Boo." I flinch, turning to the door. Veronica peers in.

"Oh. Hey." She smiles a bit.

"What's up? You look a little bit lost." I shrug. She steps into the room, closing the door behind her.

"Veronica..." I swallow. "Would you want a relationship?" She raises an eyebrow.

"A relationship."

"I mean, yeah. Right?" She cocks her head. I clear my throat. "With me." She frowns, then smiles. She suddenly laughs. I look down.

"You're so cute." She steps closer. "Of course I would. I thought we were in agreement." I manage a small smile as she pulls me into a hug.

"I just had to be sure."

"You're adorable." I laugh softly, wrapping my arms around her neck.

"It's one of my specialties," I say with a grin. She giggles quietly, and we fall onto the bed together. I let out a soft breath.

"I'm so happy you're here," she murmurs, burying her face in my neck. I smile, kissing the top of her head.

"I am, too." I look up at the ceiling. I wish I came here sooner if this is what would have happened.

"Thanks for coming back." I go quiet. Something is still bothering me. I look down at the girl in my arms, sighing.

"Please just accept my apology," I whisper. She loosens her grip on me slightly.

"Why?" She asks, sitting up.

"Because." She sighs quietly. "You deserve an apology after I-"

"Stop that." She stands up, turning to look at me. "It wasn't your fault and I don't need an apology from you."

"Veronica."

"No. I don't need an apology."

"But... I abandoned you." She purses her lips.

"You did not." I open my mouth to speak, but she shushes me gently. "Don't say that. You had to leave." I look down.

"That doesn't mean I don't feel guilty." She stays quiet for a bit, then pulls me up.

"I know you do." She hugs me tight. "But I hope eventually that'll go away. Because I'm not mad at you for leaving. I'm mad at our circumstances." She nestles her face in my neck. "You're too good to be mad at, anyway."

"Veronica..." She smiles, lips gently brushing my skin.

"Please don't feel guilty. You're not at fault." She raises her head. "And I could never blame you for that. So please don't blame yourself for it." I sigh quietly.

"I'll try." She smiles, pressing a soft kiss to my lips.

"Thank you."

"You better not be hooking up in there, I'm coming in," Chandler calls from the door. The door slams open, and Chandler stands there, a hand on her hip. She examines us. "Oh, good. You're clothed." Veronica rolls her eyes, letting me go.

"You're so immature, Heather," she groans. Chandler smirks at us.

"Well, considering you guys finally fucking faced your emotions, what else am I supposed to think?" I glare at her.

"Are we going somewhere or what?"

"Yeah." She smirks at us. "You should annoy Duke with PDA. It'd make my entire day." I laugh behind my hand.

"You're so right." I grab Veronica's hand. "Let's go?"

"Yeah." I glance down at our joined hands as we follow Chandler out. I smile to myself, tightening my grip on her. I love the feeling of her hand in mine. She seems to sense this, because she pulls me closer, smiling at me. I bite my lip.

"Let's get out of here."