four

I settle down in the cafeteria beside JD, placing down my tray. He gives me a smile.

"Hey, y/n."

"Hi, JD." I glance around the room, trying to locate Veronica.

"What's up?" I clear my throat.

"Veronica and I became friends, I think."

"What?"

"I dunno. I went to the 7/11 for a midnight snack run and ran into her. We went for a drive and we hung out at a playground for a good hour." I shrug. "She seems nice."

"She is nice. Nicer than the Heathers, at least." I nod.

"But it's weird. She's popular. Why did she wanna hang out with me?" He clicks his tongue.

"I dunno. I think you should take advantage of it."

"JD, that sounds really-"

"Not like that. Just... Think about it this way. You have someone powerful on your side. You don't have to worry about people targeting you when you're friends with Veronica Sawyer. Cherish it." I sigh.

"I guess." I look down at my food.

"Hey, nerd." I glance up as Veronica Sawyer sits across from me. I blink.

"Hi, Veronica." She smiles.

"How was the rest of your weekend?"

"Oh. It was good. I think I figured out the roads now." She nods.

"That's good." She turns her attention to JD. "Jason Dean, right?" He nods.

"Greetings and salutations." They shake hands.

"Veronica, what are you doing here?" I ask.

"What, I can't sit with my friend?" I blink a few times.

"But... The Heathers. Your table is-"

"My table is wherever the hell I want it to be. And today, it's over here." I raise an eyebrow.

"Weirdo."

"Loner."

"Whatever." She grins.

"Besides, it's not like they'll miss me. You two seem cooler than them, so it's no big deal." I exchange glances with JD.

"Right...," he says. She turns to her food. I guess I should do the same, but this situation is so surreal that I almost can't. I glance up as a yellow figure bounces into my field of vision. Heather McNamara, with her eternal smile, sits beside Veronica. It's a bit of an odd juxtaposition, seeing the human embodiment of Westerburg's ray of sun sitting beside a girl who quietly observes and rarely speaks outside of small conversations. Sun and moon, I suppose.

"Hey!" McNamara says, her voice bubbly as always. I offer her a slightly confused smile.

"Hey, Heather," I respond.

"Call me Mac." She examines me and JD. "Y/n and JD, right?" We nod. She also nods. "Cool. I've seen you two around."

"Yeah, I've seen you, as well," I say with a smile. Although I despise popular girls, there's something infectious about her energy. Veronica seems to catch this, shooting me a grin. Damn, she's quick to know what I'm thinking of. I guess that's probably why she chose to hang out with me.

"Are Heather and Heather mad?" Veronica asks her significantly shorter friend.

"Maybe a bit. You decide." JD, Veronica, and I all glance towards the center of the room, where the Heathers' home base is. Chandler and Duke stare over at us, not even bothering to look away as we look at them.