nineteen

I get out of the car, immediately stretching my legs. Being cooped in a car with four other people was a bit of a pain. I don't know what it is, but despite being older, I know they're all the same people. Their personalities all mingle and make themselves visible in all the same ways. They have matured, yes, but they seem almost the same.

"Hey, y/n?" I glance back as Chandler stands up.

"Yeah?" I say. She smiles a bit.

"Thanks for coming back." I raise an eyebrow.

"What do you mean?" She shrugs a bit.

"I don't know. Since you showed up, everyone seemed to get a little..." She pauses. "Livelier."

"Meaning they act like they did when we were kids?" I ask with a teasing smile. She looks down, not responding for a moment. She nods suddenly.

"Yeah." She meets my eyes. "I miss it." I laugh softly.

"I do, too."

"Can you two come and help us?" I glance over at JD as he opens up the trunk of the car.

"Alright. Come on, Heather. Come get your bag." The others respond in teasing manners. Chandler sighs.

"It's not even that heavy, you guys are just assholes." We all laugh. I nudge Chandler.

"Show us your strength, then, oh mighty one." She shoots me a glare. I smile. "Sorry."

"Guys!" I hear from the steps of McNamara's house. A curly-haired blonde runs over to us, immediately enveloping Duke in what looks like a bone-crushing hug.

"Argh- Mac!" Duke yelps, stumbling back as she tries to steady the two of them. The girl giggles insanely. I blink a few times. Chandler nudges me as she walks towards them.

"Hey, Heather," she says, a hint of a smile in her voice. The blonde grins wide, pulling Chandler into the hug. "Oh- Okay! Hi!"

"I missed you guys," Heather McNamara murmurs. I feel my heart skip a beat upon hearing her voice. JD gives my shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

"Um," I start. The three Heathers glance over at me. I wave awkwardly. "Hi."

"Hello," Mac says. I clear my throat.

"So..." I don't really know what to say. Besides JD and Veronica, Mac was one of my closest friends. And according to the others, she was hurt when I left. What do I say to her?

"So...," she repeats, waiting for my response. I swallow. "... Wait."

"What?" I say softly. She narrows her eyes, her brows furrowing. She steps closer. I back away.

"Y/n?" She whispers. I swallow hard. She's waiting for me to confirm. She's waiting for me to tell her that it's me, the friend who left in senior year. She's waiting to see if it's the girl she knew.

"Yeah," I murmur. Her eyebrows crease. She shakes her head.

"But... What?" She reaches out, almost cautiously. She puts her hands on my shoulders as if she doesn't quite believe that I'm here. "You're here. You're... Back." I nod a few times.

"I am." She purses her lips. I notice a shine in her eyes. She pulls me closer, burying her face in my shoulder and hugging me tight.

"Why did you leave?" She says softly. I hesitantly put my arms around her.

"I'm sorry, Heather." She quivers.

"I missed you. So much." I nod.

"I missed you, too." She tightens her grip on me.