twenty-one

We're walking back when I stop. The sun is blazing bright in front of us, washing us in red-gold light.

"Guys?" I say softly. They all glance back at me, stopping one by one.

"What's up, y/n?" Ram asks. I swallow.

"Thanks for coming back." Chandler scoffs.

"We didn't come back for you." She pauses. "... You're welcome." I smile a bit.

"But seriously? I'm really glad you're here." I smile down at the ground. "I'm glad I was able to see you again."

"We are too, y/n." Mac grabs my arm. "Really. I didn't expect it but I'm happy either way." I grin, nodding. Everyone agrees in some way.

Except for Veronica.

I sigh quietly. I don't know how to get through to her. I just wish I could give her a proper apology. Just talk to her in some way. I'm so caught up in my thoughts that I nearly don't notice where we are. It's only when I run into a completely frozen Veronica when I realize.

"Oh," I sigh. It's the playground. A little run down in comparison to the last time I saw it, but I'd recognize it from a mile away.

"Yeah," Veronica says in agreement. The others have no idea the significance of this place. Only us two. This is where we became friends. Where she let me into her life. Where I realized my feelings for her. Where we spent our last few minutes together. I feel a pull in my chest.

I wonder what she's thinking.

We're a few steps behind the others before one of them even notices.

"You coming?" Duke calls out. I glance at the group. The Heathers all look confused. Ram and Kurt looked weirded out. JD seems to have a moment of understanding. Before I can even speak, Veronica does.

"We'll catch up, go ahead." I blink, glancing over at her. She doesn't even look at me. Chandler is the first to make a move.

"Sounds good, guys," she says. She nudges the others. "Come on, let's move." With a frown at me, she turns on her heel, leading the others away. I watch them go. As I turn back to Veronica, I realize she's walking to the playground. She looks over her shoulder at me.

"Well?" I look down. After a second, I follow her. The sand crunches under my shoes as I walk along. The sound is all too familiar. I look up to find her sitting on a swing. I claim the one beside her, and we both look out into the sunset. I take it all in, closing my eyes.

"I missed this," I say. When she doesn't reply, I look at her. She smiles a bit, examining my face.

"You've changed a bit." I tilt my head.

"... I have?"

"Yeah." She looks out at the sky. The light illuminates her, turning her dark locks and brown eyes golden. I admire her. "You're a lot less negative." I tilt my head.

"Am I?" She nods.

"And you're super sentimental." She sighs softly, hands gripping the swing chains. "And obviously you're older."

"Well, time tends to do that to people." She laughs softly, looking back at me. We share a smile. "You've changed, too, Veronica."

"Really?" She raises an eyebrow. "I always thought I stayed about the same."

"Pft. I mean, come on." I let out a breath. "Of course you have. But you're still you. And that won't ever change, I don't think."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well, you're still who you were when we met. When I..." I trail off. "When I left you guys." She stays silent. "You're still stubborn and sarcastic and smart. Thoughtful and just... Really snappy. But that's okay! I liked that Veronica a lot." She gives me a small smile.