eight

"I don't really get it," I say. I get odd stares from everyone. Well, except JD.

"Me neither," he agrees.

"Guys, come on," Chandler says. "Prom is one of the biggest nights of the year."

"But why? I never understood." I hug a pillow, tapping away at my phone. "Throw on a dress or suit and dance. Get crowned if you're lucky. That's it."

"It's an over-glorified dance party," JD says.

"Thank you!" I say.

"But we have to go," Mac pipes up. "It's senior year. So it's kinda a requirement."

"Is it?" I ask. Veronica smacks the back of my head. "Ow..."

"Just because you don't get it, doesn't mean the rest of us don't want it." The Heathers voice their agreements. I sigh.

"Fine, whatever, I guess."

"Besides, it'll be fun."

"Okay, okay." I put my hands up in surrender. "Go have your fun prom night, then."

"We're bringing you two, obviously," Duke says. I meet JD's eyes.

"Why?" I complain.

"Because you deserve a prom night." Veronica pokes my cheek. "This is the longest either of you have ever stayed in a single place. Isn't that a milestone that deserves a celebration?" I turn off my phone.

"... I guess."

"Fair point," JD sighs. Our friends share devilish smirks.

"So, we should dress you up, too." I slowly turn to Mac as she says this. She grins. "Right?" I scoff.

"Right...," I agree sarcastically. JD snickers.

"Like all black tie formal and shit?" He laughs. "I'll get back to you on that."

"I don't get why you two are so against prom night," Chandler says, settling on her bed. "I mean, honestly." I shrug.

"Because we've never reached prom season. And if we have, it's probably been spent alone." I glance at JD for confirmation. He nods.

"Oh, yeah. And everyone talks about it as if it has such high stakes, but it barely means anything in the long run." He leans back in his chair. "So I don't see a point."

"Me neither."

"You guys are boring...," Veronica says. She slides down to the floor beside me, resting her head on my shoulder. "Put an effort in now, at least. It'll be worth it."

"What, so we can get girlfriends and shit?" I laugh. "Sure." Veronica rolls her eyes.

"I didn't tell you to find a girlfriend." She gives me a look. "So don't." I smirk.

"Aw, is Ronnie jealous?" She elbows me. I rub my side, chuckling lightly. "My mistake." She rolls her eyes.

"You wish." I smile.

"You know me so well." She sticks out her tongue. I laugh softly. "You're such a child."

"Says you." I smack her face with the pillow. She calls out in surprise, grabbing it. I tug on it, trying to take it back.

"Guys, don't rip the pillow!" Chandler says, reaching over and taking it from us. I frown at Veronica.

"Your fault." She smiles.