five

"Come on, your logic makes no sense." I shoot Veronica a grin as she says this.

"Neither does yours, then." She groans.

"You're insufferable." I turn back to the road. "I truly mean that, y/n."

"Whatever you say, Ronnie." I pull into her driveway and we get out, grabbing our bags, books and binders from the back seats.

"Ugh, can't believe he's giving us group assignments like this," she complains as we head up the stairs to her room. She slams the door.

"Well, at least he put us together." Before either of us could get to Duke, everyone clamored for her. She's hella smart. And of course, she's gorgeous. She's a Heather. Everyone wants the opportunity to get her alone. So, as one does, our English teacher assigned partners, much to most of the guys' dismay.

"That's a good point," she says as I settle in her desk chair, her on the bed.

"Which part do you wanna do?" I ask her.

"I guess I'll start on the summary for chapter one."

"I'll do chapter two and four. You get three, and then we can both work on chapter five."

"Sounds like a plan." I open my book to chapter two, writing down the title on my piece of paper. It's about half an hour before my eyes grow heavy and my focus shaky. I rest my head on the desk.

"Ugh."

"What?" I hear her say, sounding slightly distracted.

"It's boring." I hear the shift of her bed as she stands up.

"I know." I raise my head to look at her, and am promptly smacked in the face by a flying pillow. I grab it, staring at her, bewildered.

"The hell was that for?"

"To wake you up," she says with a smile, crossing her arms.

"B- There are better ways to do that, Veronica."

"I know. That was just the fastest way." She turns back around, walking back to the bed. I scowl, then grin, chucking the pillow at the back of her head. She calls out in surprise, whirling around to face me.

"What?" I say innocently. She frowns at me.

"Nothing," she says, rolling her eyes.

"I knew it."

"Ugh." She settles back down on the bed, picking the pillow up from the floor. "You're like a child."

"You're still friends with me, no?" She makes a point of ignoring me. I grin, turning back to my work. Ever since that day she decided to sit with JD and I, we've become close. Not just Veronica and I. All of us. I mean, sure, maybe JD and Chandler aren't always the best combination with how hotheaded they are, and Duke and Veronica pester each other to no end, but overall, we're a pretty close group.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever." Truthfully, I'm so glad I got a chance to meet Veronica. We're practically inseparable now.

"You know you love me, Ronnie," I say, writing down the major themes presented in the chapter I'm on.

"Like I said, whatever."

"Ow." It's comforting, joking around with Veronica in her room. Hanging out with her. She's truly one of the best things in my life right now, and I genuinely want to trust her. I think I do trust her. She's an amazing person, and I'm glad she's my friend. I frown at my hands. So it'd suck if I lost her over something like that.