1. To-Be-Reported

What qualifies as an average life for a twenty-six year old?

When you have an average job, a small place to call your own and a partner you are either happily in love with or not so happily settled with.

Well Kiara Davis has at least one of those down. She has a job. A nightmare of a job that every atom of her body is disgusted by, but a job nevertheless. Really, no person of sound moral should be working for a law firm that helps rich assholes illegally acquire forests and grasslands and turn them into money-making wastelands. That's not what she studied environmental law for. That's not what she promised her uncle Jasper when they both poured over his albums of his work from Madagascar and she said she would be his soldier and protect nature so he could continue taking pretty pictures for her.

What load of bullcrap! She wasn't seven anymore and protecting nature would probably put her on the streets. She would probably lose her job, get called a lunatic as she stood protesting while the president gave a speech a mile away from her. The picture was so vivid in her head that sometimes wondered if she was a seer. She has to be. How else does she see the exact shade of dirt in her broken nails that held the placard as she yelled "Leave something for your spoilt grandkids to destroy you bald hyenas''

Now, about that second requirement, it's not like she couldn't afford to pay for a tiny studio apartment with the salary the devils pay her, no she definitely could. That's what she sold her soul for. If money was the only issue that held her back from losing the loser tag that comes with still living in your parents' attic, she would probably have, you know, lost that damned tag.

She had other issues. Namely, paranoia.

She couldn't be sure when it all started. Probably in the final years of her highschool. She could never shake off that feeling. Not when she lived with her parents, not when she shared dorms with her mates and definitely not in that one month when she tried to live on her own. There were eyes on her.

Her parents suggested therapy. Her friends told her no stalker would wait a decade to jump a person. And she believed them. She never had one creep crawl up to her in her entire adult life. She knew it was a part of growing up a woman. Almost all of her friends and acquaintances had first hand experiences with flashers, gropers or atleast the creeps that catcalled them from afar. Not her. So she knew it was definitely paranoia.

But it was not like she could tell her brain to stop imagining at least four pairs of glowing eyes staring at her, following her in the dark as she walked from the library to her dorm room in the middle of the night. What kind of jaundiced creeps would make it a routine to see her off to her dorm throughout her college and uni days?

But that didn't stop her from seeking solace with her parents who much to her little sister Misha's annoyance, let her reclaim her attic room.

"But it has the best view" Misha had whined "It was supposed to be mine once this nerd finished school"

"You know it's a 'first come, first serve' policy right?" Kiara had whispered softly for only Misha to hear "Everything that comes after the first one only deserves donated seconds"

It was worth the few hundred strands of hair she had lost to Misha's sturdy fingers that day. And if others say it was childish of her to do that to a kid sister who is almost a decade younger than her, well.....that doesn't make it any less funny watching the kid's face turn angry emoji red. It would be hilarious at any age.

Now, the final nail in the coffin that reads 'loser' comes with the fact that the last date she went on was the one her father chaperoned her to when she was fifteen. No she was not kidding. No she wasn't hideous either. She checked.