23. Surrender before you lose.

"What was Keith talking about?" The obvious nonchalance was adorable to Kiara for some reason. Maybe she was catching the Bluewood bug?

"As if you didn't hear every word of it"

"I don't like him" They were leaning against a balcony on the second floor of the Alpha mansion. Matt took her there when he realized she was suffocating with so many people around.

"Should I not meet him tomorrow?"

"You should"

"Then what am I supposed to do with the information that you don't like him?" She asked.

He looked at her like she had lost her mind. When she didn't waver her questioning frown, he frowned back "I wouldn't ever like people you don't like. It's a mate thing"

"I don't like your father"

He blinked "Oh!"

"Didn't think of that, did you? Not a mate thing then"

"Dad can be overbearing at times but he will protect you with his life" He leaned towards her "He isn't what he looks from the outside. You just have to give him some time"

"Same can be said for Keith. From the little I spoke to him, he actually is a very nice person"

"You wouldn't say this after tomorrow"

"You know what this is about?"

Mat nodded "His story to tell"

"You guys scare me with your secrets"

"It's a bit scary but I don't want any secrets between us. So I asked him to lay it out to you or I will" He turned to her, "I would have told you sooner if it was my story to tell. I swear"

"You threatened him?"

Matt blinked "That wasn't a threat"

"Sounds to me like it was"

He sighed "Can we not talk about him. I could live the rest of my life not talking to or about him"

"He is your cousin"

"You don't know what he was like, growing up with him around"

"He bullied you?"

He shook his head "He would mock everything I did just because our principles differed. He was... is a smug bastard with a superiority complex"

Now when Matt puts it that way, she could see how he felt. But maybe the two of them just need to sit down and talk it through.

.

Keith took her to a Korean-fusion restaurant run by Yo Na's parents. A bespectacled man of asian descent sat at the reception looking more miserable with each new customer.

"Yo Yo Sub! What's Sup" Keith grinned leaning heavily against the counter so he was as close to the poor soul as possible.

Yo Sub leaned back as far as he could without falling off his chair, took a deep breath and then calmly glared at her companion. "What do you want?"

"Food" How Keith could keep that huge grin on his face for so long amazed Kiara "And I have a very special guest with me today"

Yo Sub's attention finally turned to Kiara, recognition sparked in his features before his face turned an alarming red. Did all of Bluewood know who she was? "Kiara. Yo Sub. Yo Sub. Kiara" He punctuated nodding his jolly head to and fro.

"Hey" Kiara smiled.

He simply nodded before turning to get himself busy with wiping an imaginary stain on the counter. Rude.