04

memories.

skye

The fact my head went right to a revenge scheme is starting to scare me, but to be honest, it's all I can really think about.

Alex begins to talk about the company and a bunch of stuff I heard during my interview. It almost seemed scripted how much she let on that she liked this place.

"Oh, yeah, Skylar, do you want any help on those questions?"
"Sure, You can call me Skye by the way, and I don't even know where to start." I say. There isn't any awkwardness in the air. I feel really comfortable around Alex. She seems genuine and kind... That's kind of hard to find in LA. Not that living in New York was really ever much different but at least the people there were brutally honest. Getting into a groove in LA is like swimming upstream in a river, damn near impossible.

We get up and make our way back to the cubicles. In the hallway back she waves to a few people and she smiles back at me. We get back to my desk and begin brainstorming a few questions.

We go back and forth for nearly an hour. It was only 10 am and I somehow had another 6 hours and this wasn't going fast at all. At this point she was leaned back in an extra chair with her feet propped up on the corner of my L-shaped desk.

"Maybe it's harder for me to do this because I've known them since I was 14?" I say. Alex looks at me in shock. That didn't just come out of my mouth, did it?

"So that's what I saw before?" She asks in concern. Something about the tone wasn't degrading but she seemed genuinely lost at how I knew him.

"There wasn't anything to see." My face begins to warm up and my body is almost tingling thinking about the way that he touched just under my chin.

"C'mon that was something." She teases with a smirk. It was something about that face that made me snap.

"It was a long time ago, it was nothing." I know she wasn't trying to pry and she was just teasing but something inside of me got so mad. There was a fire in my chest and every breath I take can't even cool it down. My neck is tense and my entire body is seeing her as some sort of threat. I don't know why I'm getting so defensive over something that happened over 3 years ago, I thought I let it all go.

She nods and leaves it be when CeCe swiftly opens the door and slams it behind her, walking over to us. Alex notices quickly and puts her feet flat on the ground.

"Skylar, the boys are open for a meeting today at 12, and their manager wants those questions by 11." She says casually and continues walking on the side of the cubicles looking at the people working. I didn't even get a word in before she was near the cafe.

"Shit." I say under my breath. Alex and I look at each other and she picks up her laptop from her laptop bag next to her chair.

"So starting with early life we need where they're from, parents and home life, what school they went to, any interests or hobbies they took up as a kid.." She trails off.

Harry used to love to sing and dance around his house. He would call me and put me on facetime, every time he was home alone, just to put on some Fleetwood Mac and dance around. I never really knew why he did it, I think he found it freeing or something because he never really danced in public.

"Are you listening?" She asks. "Oh yeah, hobbies as a kid.." I signal her to continue. She talks about all the questions she's writing on the shared document, but I can't help but think about why the hell Harry was choosing to taunt me like that.

We get down as many questions as possible and to each question she writes down, I can remember how Harry would answer, or at least the old him. His bright green eyes seemed to have a darkness to them now. Someone I thought I knew, I don't have a clue about, and he doesn't know too much about me either. It's crazy how people who couldn't go a day without eachother are strangers only a few years later.