CHAPTER ELEVEN

⚔︎

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"I think I'll pass out," I tell Haknyeon before dropping to my knees. My throat was dryer than the dirt my fingernails dug into as the sun shined mercilessly down onto the camp, burning my skin.

"I know, it feels like hell doesn't it?" Haknyeon says, dropping down next to me.

How long had it been? An hour? Two? Or maybe even only thirty minutes? All I knew was that I'd barely made a dent in the course, and that I was far far behind the other divisions. The water in my canteen already gone.

I hadn't expected all of the B tent boys to want to stay back with me. Haknyeon and Eric vouched to stick with me for the day, and the rest went ahead. I knew they wanted their runs to be over quick and didn't want me to hold them back.

"I'm sorry for this, guys," I tell them with tears in the corner of my eyes and Eric quickly shakes his head, not wanting to see me cry.

"Don't worry about it, we're the ones who volunteered," he tells me in an attempt to cheer me up while grabbing my arms to pull me to my feet.

"Yeah, but you guys would be way far ahead right now if it weren't for me," I say glumly, knowing it was true.

"What did I say?" Eric says to me, handing me his water canteen. "I said don't worry about it. Now drink some water and we'll continue."

I was so thankful for these two, I couldn't put it into words.

"You guys are too much," I say while taking an air drink of Eric's canteen and Haknyeon smiles. "We're just taking care of B tents girl, that's all."

I felt so happy at their words, honestly. I smiled, making eye contact with the two of them. "Let's go, I'm feeling a bit better now," I say, handing Eric back his canteen and then we take off again, dirt and dust flying behind us as we run at our own pace.

I tried to do what Eric suggested, his breathing technique.

"BREATHE IN WITH YOUR NOSE AND MOUTH SLOWLY," Eric tells me, patting my back. "It's the easiest way to stabilize your breathing."

I do what Eric suggested, breathing in with both my nose and mouth as I run and it somehow felt a bit easier this time.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"Who wants their canteen refilled?" I heard a guards voice shout and I stop running, sweat pouring down my back.