Chapter One: Elizabeth

"Gentleman, 36, of strong moral character, seeks to meet a respectable woman with object of matrimony. Must be willing to travel west and unafraid of work. Details and address with editor."

Bored, I lowered the newspaper just enough to look over the top. "Must I read all the advertisements?" I asked.

"Please do. I like to hear them. I think that anyone who advertises for a bride must be very brave, and the least I can do is read it." Mother paused to cough into her handkerchief. I tossed aside the paper to lean forward, but she waved me away before I could offer any help. "Eliza, there is nothing you can do."

The words were like a stab to the heart just because I knew they were true. The last time Dr. Peters had visited, he'd left Mother's bedroom with a grave expression and gone straight to John. Though my older brother hadn't informed me what they'd talked about, the blood Mother tried to hide in her handkerchief every time she coughed told me all I needed to know.

Consumption was taking my mother from me and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

Just to have something to do, I smoothed the quilt that lay over her lap. It was one she had put together with her mother before she was married. I loved the brilliant colors and the tiny stitches that held it all together.

"What do you find so amusing in the advertisements?" I asked, finding my voice. I bent down to pick up the newspaper and began to put the pages in order. Once upon a time, I might have teased her about searching for a wealthy husband to replace my father, but Papa's death was too...raw for such jests.

"What isn't amusing about them? They give me a great deal to think about. What kind of life have they had? What life partner do they eventually find from their advertisement?"

"Why can they not find a wife among their neighbors?" I couldn't help but ask. "How many of these are just like those frauds that the newspapers have reported on? People out to trick others and take their money?"

Mother tutted reprovingly, color returning to her cheeks slower than I liked. "Elizabeth Marie! You cannot ascribe one person's bad motives to everyone else. What an unkind thought. I dare say it is just as unkind as those who wonder why a young lady from a good family has not chosen a husband from her neighbors."

My cheeks flushed at the reminder and rebuke. At twenty-nine, I'd often heard such a question from other ladies in town and resented every word. Never mind that many of the young men of my generation had not returned home after the war.

"I'm sorry," I managed to say. "I didn't mean..."

Reaching over, Mother patted my hand. "I know you meant no harm, but someone else might not understand that" she said soothingly. She would have continued, but again, she was overcome with a coughing fit.

I dropped my eyes, unable to stomach watching helplessly. Finally, she leaned her head back with an exhausted sigh. Without a word, I handed her a new, clean handkerchief and took the blood stained one from her.

"Well. Suffice to say, reading or hearing the advertisements takes my mind off of matters," she said quietly.

"Of course." I should not have remarked on it and just let her enjoy whatever she found joy or amusement in. I cleared my throat. "And what have you imagined about this 'Gentleman, 36?'"

A smile curved her lips and brightened her expression. "I imagine that he is one of those intrepid young men who went west to settle the land. Now that he has established himself, he wishes to share his life with a woman who has the same values as he does. That is why the lady who responds must be a hard worker and willing to travel west."