Chapter Twenty-Five: Elizabeth

My legs felt wobbly and weak when I dismounted from Noah's horse, but I tried not to show it. The last thing I wanted was to be seen as weak. I wanted to be an equal partner, able to carry my weight and not be a burden or hindrance.

Somehow, though, he knew. "It'll get easier in time, I promise," he said with a kind smile. "I think you're a natural."

My cheeks flushed with embarrassment. "It wasn't that hard now," I informed him primly. Did I sound too confident? "Well, maybe a little hard. I just need to practice."

Noah reached over, took my hand in his, and gave it a squeeze. Before he could say anything, though, the unfamiliar man did. "So this is your girl," the US marshal commented as he reached the fence. He pulled his hat off and nodded at me. "Pleasure to make your acquaintance, ma'am."

"Marshal Westler, this is Miss Elizabeth Garrison," Noah said, making the introduction. "Elizabeth, this is the US marshal I was telling you about."

"Nice to meet you," I said politely. There was no point in mentioning that he had interrupted us and I was annoyed by it. "I understand you're not from around here. Do you expect to be here long?"

The man simply grunted. "You've come a long way to make a match."

Was that a subtle criticism of Noah and myself? Well, I wasn't going to stand for that! "The distance is well worth the effort when I am getting an honorable man in the bargain," I told him sharply. "Do you know how rare it is to find a man like that?"

His eyebrows shot up. "Yes, ma'am. I mean, no ma'am. I don't think I've ever thought about it before."

Of course he hadn't! Why would he?

"I wasn't expecting you back, Marshal," Noah spoke up. "Did you run into some trouble?"

Marshal Westler put his hat back on with a sound that was close to being a huff. "You might say that," he responded. "I couldn't get close to the Burns' place. Too many kids running around."

"So you haven't arrested Owen Burns?" I asked, feeling more than a little disappointed. That would have been one less thing to worry about! "He tried to kill Noah!"

"I can't arrest a man I can't find, ma'am."

Why did he keep calling me ma'am? Several men had done so since I had crossed the Mississippi. It made me feel old and I didn't like it. Would it be churlish if I told him not to do it?

"Well, you're welcome to stay the night again," Noah said. Was I the only one who heard the note of hesitancy in his voice? "I'm afraid I won't be much help in finding Burns."

"I appreciate that. Thanks, Coleman." Westler looked between us. "I don't want to interfere with your sparking. I'll just put my horse away and hide away in the house. Do you mind if I help myself to some food? I didn't want to draw attention to myself by going to that cafe in town."

Increased disappointment made my stomach sink. I'd begun to think that Noah and I would have dinner together, but how awful would it be to share with this stranger!

"Help yourself," was Noah's response. Polite, and not giving away anything he was really thinking. "I should be getting Miss Garrison back to the Harpers' place before too long."

With a nod, Marshal Westler turned to walk towards the house. "I do have a question, Marshal," I said to stop him. I didn't even wait for him to pause before I charged ahead. "You've already said it is too difficult to get Owen Burns. At what point do you ask for help?"

"Ma'am, I know how to do my job," he said over his shoulder. "Have a good afternoon."

Well. That was hardly reassuring. He increased his speed. Either I would have to run after him, or give up. For the moment, I decided to let him go. "I had more questions to ask," I said with a frown.