Chapter Two: Noah

"I've got three letters here for you, Coleman. Your sister must have a lot to say this year."

Three? My heart sank as I reached to take the letters. I hadn't realized how eagerly I'd been anticipating answers to my advertisement. It wasn't as though I'd believed I would get responses from hundreds of women eager to marry me, but...three? I'd waited weeks for three letters?

Was I doomed to remain alone for the rest of my days?

"You look disappointed," Abe Collins commented, getting my attention. He rested his elbows on the counter and leaned forward. His eyes were alight with interest. "It's not every family that has a diligent letter writer like your sister. Were you expecting something else?"

At least he thought all three letters were from my sister. If he knew I had advertised for a bride, it would be all over the territory by the end of the day. Gossipy old ladies had nothing on Abe Collins when he wanted to be the first to spread news.

"Did any newspapers come in?" I asked, avoiding the question in the only way I knew how. I slipped the letters into my pocket for later.

Collins straightened up and reached under the counter. "A few from Chicago and one came all the way from Missouri. You want to read them?"

Though I had no interest in Chicago in general, I much preferred a newspaper from there over anything that would come from Missouri. I accepted the paper and added it to my crate of supplies. Thank goodness, I hadn't chosen Chicago to send my advertisement to.

Behind me, the bell jangled cheerfully as the door opened. Collins' gaze shifted past me. "Well, afternoon, Burns," he said with a smile. "And Miss Annie. How pretty you look today. What brings you back in again today?"

Just the two people I had hoped to avoid seeing. The only way it could have been any worse was if Mrs. Burns was with them, but happily that didn't seem to be the case. She wouldn't have been afraid to chase me down and press her point.

"I'll see you next time, Collins," I said, grabbing my crate. I wanted to be on my way and avoid conversation. "Thanks for the paper. I'll bring it back as soon as I'm finished."

"Leaving already?" Jake Burns asked as he came up beside me. He clapped a hand on my shoulder. "It seems we hardly see you in town anymore, Noah. I hope things are well on your homestead."

Uncomfortable, I edged away, trying to shake off his hand without being blatant about it. I may have had a few inches on him, but he managed to seem bigger than me. It was true I had cut down on the times I would ride into town for company, but why I chose to do so was not something I would voice in front of an audience.

Especially not when the audience was the biggest gossip in the territory.

"Things are just fine," I answered, trying to be polite. I stepped away from the counter as a hint that I wasn't about to stand and shoot the breeze with them. "There's always things to do, though."

"Why don't you come to dinner while you are in town?" Sixteen-year-old Annie Burns asked with a wide smile. "Ma baked a pie this morning and I know how much you enjoy sweets, Mr. Coleman."

"Mr. Coleman?" Her father repeated with a laugh. "There's no need for such formality between neighbors, is there? I'm sure he won't object to you calling him by his Christian name, will you, Noah?"

I eyed him uneasily. There was every objection to such informality. She was a child and while I came into town often, we were not close neighbors or even friends. I'm not even sure when he started calling me by my Christian name instead of simply "Coleman" like everyone else.