Chapter Seven: Elizabeth

I should have known that Mother would take notice of my change in reading material. Instead of my usual fare of novels or the serial stories in the papers, I studied the receipts in Mrs. Elliot's Housewife. Though I tried to read it whenever she slept, she caught me out several times.

"Is Angelica urging you to do more in the kitchen?" she finally asked.

"What?" I asked, startled. "Oh, no. She hasn't made that suggestion yet."

"So why the sudden interest in cooking?" Mother asked bluntly. "It is not your usual kind of reading. I assume Molly lent it to you?"

"Yes, she did." I ran my hand over the mending in my lap. It was growing dark for such work, but my sister-in-law had been wondering when I would finish the repair. I thought I'd be able to finish it by the light of the candles. "I thought it was long past time I learned more about managing a household. Who knows? Angelica may decide to turn off Sally to save money and I will have a great deal of catching up to do."

My joke fell flat. Mother shook her head. "I know you and Angelica do not get on well, but there is no reason to speak ill of her behind her back," she gently chided. "She has a great deal of responsibility to raise her children and keep the house in running order. Not to mention how she might feel she has to feel my shoes."

Of course, Mother would be gracious and understanding. Even when confined to her bed, she was a lady. How disappointed she must be in me with my reluctance to show the same attitude!

"I'm sorry," I said, feeling thoroughly chastened. "I know she is doing the best she can in the situation."

"Now why don't you tell me the real reason why you've been reading that book so intently." Mother leveled a steady gaze on me. "I made sure your sister and you knew how to manage a household, so there is no 'catching up' you need to do."

Could I pass it off as a mere passing fancy of mine? No, I couldn't be untruthful with my mother even if it was just omitting certain details.

I'd sent the photograph to Mr. Coleman, so it was as serious as it ever could be. Even if I still didn't feel ready to tell the rest of my family, I should tell Mother.

"I want to be prepared for the future," I said honestly. I chose my words carefully as I considered how to tell her. "I want to be able to be confident my skills in the kitchen are up to anything, especially if there is a shortage of something or another. I want to know how to preserve all kinds of food."

That had really been the most interesting part of the book Molly had given me. It had receipts for things I wouldn't have thought to need. I just wish I could practice what I was learning somehow.

Mother's forehead furrowed into a concerned frown. "So you expect that to happen? There were some shortages during the war, but I thought things had been improving. I can't recall you reading anything about it in the newspapers."

"Well, no, but anything in life can happen, you know. Nothing is guaranteed, as you have told me often enough. Isn't it better to know something and not need it, than to be faced with a situation and not know what should be done?"

Turning her head, Mother lapsed into an intense coughing fit. "Fudgeon," she said when she recovered herself. "You are prevaricating. What have you gotten yourself involved in, Elizabeth? Tell me the truth now."

With a sigh, I confessed. I told her about Angelica's plans for me to go to Maryanne and more of how John kept urging me to marry Mr. Willis. I explained how I had written an answer to the advertisement, not to mention keeping an eye on other advertisements that had since appeared in the newspapers. Everything I had learned about Mr. Noah Coleman came next and Mother listened without saying a word.