Chapter Nine: Elizabeth

The few weeks I spent with my aunt, uncle, and cousins were busy ones, but enjoyable nonetheless. Aunt Hamilton was a no-nonsense kind of woman and she was more than happy to teach me everything she thought I needed to know. She was unafraid to point out where I went wrong, but then kindly showed me how to fix my mistakes.

I was able to learn more about animals that I ever dreamed possible to know. My hands ached from milking the cows in the morning and evening. The chickens had also left their mark on my hands until I learned to distract them with grain before I ransacked their nests for eggs.

Though too early for many vegetables, the early fruits of their garden, strawberries, had also afforded me the opportunity to learn how to preserve them. Making jam was fun, as was making strawberry pies.

My aunt graciously invited me back closer to fall when there were more vegetables ready in the garden. She knew what I was doing, though she was respectful enough not to tell my cousins. I was grateful she didn't judge me for corresponding with Mr. Coleman and only wanted to help.

Tired but pleased with myself, I returned home. I carried with me a letter for Mother. Aunt Hamilton had been concerned to hear about my mother's health. She promised to visit soon.

What would Noah think of everything I had learned?

After a mostly quiet ride, my cousin declined to come into the house. He hoped to visit a young lady on his way back. His neck flushed red when I teased him about inviting me to the wedding. As he drove the wagon off, I carried my carpetbag into the house And found that all was not as I had left it.

"So, you are finally back," Angelica said, eyeing me with a frown. She shifted her daughter from one hip to the other. Mary Jane sniffled, sucking on her thumb. "It isn't everyone who is allowed a holiday, and here you have been gone for nearly three weeks! And right when you were needed the most!"

I held back a sigh at her dramatic tone. "You know I went to help my aunt." That had been the story Mother had told to my sister-in-law. I set my carpetbag down. "I'm sure you have managed everything with Sally's help. She's never let us down."

But Angelica shook her head, her golden curls bouncing with the motion. "Sally is no longer here. I have been left with an entire house to run and no one to help me. I'm sure I needed you more than your aunt. How many children does she have who she could have called on?"

Astounded, I stared at her. Sally was gone? Sally, who had worked for our family for at least five years, was gone? She was an honest, hard working girl who helped provide for her siblings. "What?" was all I could think to ask. What could have happened that Sally would have just left? "Why did Sally leave?"

"That's not important, since it is over and done with," Angelica said swiftly. "Needless to say, things have been difficult since she left. I have had to cook, clean, and tend the children without anyone to help me. Your holiday was poorly timed, Elizabeth. I hope you enjoyed yourself."

There was one thing she hadn't listed in her tasks, which made me ignore her sarcastic statement. "So who has been keeping Mother company while I have been away?" I asked, reaching to untie the ribbons of my strawhat.

"Elizabeth, really! There has been too much for me to manage! There hasn't even been a moment where I could sit down this week. Besides, what woman wants someone sitting with her all the time? I'm sure she has enjoyed the peace and quiet, the Lord knows she would be the only person to have that in this house."

Her voice rose with each word, and Mary Jane began to whimper. Witha frustrated sigh, Angelica jostled her in what I assumed was an attempt to soothe her.

Surely she couldn't be serious! "Well, Mrs. Parker and Molly must have spent some time with her," I said, trying to find some detail that wasn't absolutely horrifying.