Chapter Sixteen: Noah

She was coming.

Elizabeth was actually coming! As I went about my daily routine, that thought was never far from my mind. By winter time, she would be in Wyoming and, if all went as well in person as it had on paper, we would be married.

If we were compatible when we met, that is. I tried to keep reminding myself that it wasn't a guarantee that she would marry me. It was up to me to prove myself worthy of her. The concerns she had were valid. She was giving up a lot—family, friends, and everything she'd known—to come west.

Would she see the potential in my land? To an untrained eye, it wouldn't look like much. I tried not to think about how much smaller my new barn was than the one it had replaced. Although I wanted everything to look the best it could for Elizabeth, the barn—small and cobbled together with weathered and new wood—was a testament to friendship. I could only hope she would see it in the same light.

My little cattle herd had suffered no lasting harm from the fire. They had calmed down and seemed content with their new home. They'd certainly gone through the grass growing in the corral, and I finally had to set them loose to graze. Then, I did my best not to ride out to check on them every day.

Only every other day, which seemed reasonable.

Given that my daily chores were a routine that didn't require concentration, I had plenty of time to think. Travel had changed a lot since I had come West. I'd needed a team of oxen and a Saratoga wagon. I'd loaded it with everything I might need, abandoning at least a third when the going became hard on the trail.

Now there was a railroad that stretched from New York City all the way to California. What had taken me months to travel would only take a matter of weeks for Elizabeth. No doubt her journey would be more comfortable than mine had been. It would be interesting to compare notes when she arrived.

What would it be like to actually talk to her in person? Given how much I enjoyed reading her letters, I was certain conversation would be just as interesting.

"You look like a love-sick puppy."

Earnest's words brought me back to earth. With a start, I glanced over at him. Though his ankle had mostly healed and he could get around more easily, I still stopped by to help him as much as I could. As I faced him, I felt my face heat with embarrassment. This was the second time in an hour he'd caught me preoccupied with my thoughts.

"Sorry," I mumbled without really meaning it. "Were you saying something?"

"You really are excited about her coming." My friend's voice was bland, not giving anything away.

"Of course I am. If our face-to-face meeting goes well, she is the woman I intend to spend the rest of my life with," I said defensively. I swung the ax down into the log, splitting it into smaller pieces. "Am I meant to be going about life like everything isn't going to change?"

He gave a huff, shaking his head. "Well, a man of your age shouldn't go around with such a dreamy look on your face. It just ain't right."

Ever since I'd told him what I considered to be good news, Earnest had been going around with a long face. Was he jealous I was going to be married? Or was there something else on his mind?

"I will do my best not to be 'dreamy,'" I told him simply. I used my sleeve to wipe the sweat from my forehead. "I'm sorry I offended you with my excitement."

Earnest ran his hand over his face and scowled. "Now don't take that tone, Noah. You know I'm not offended."

"You're sure doing a good impression of it."