Chapter Twenty-Seven: Elizabeth

What was I to do?

If Noah's neighbors from town were still overly concerned about our relationship, I had to do something about it. There had to be something, anything, that would not only make them mind their own business, but would also clear Noah's name. But what could that be?

"What is behind that serious look?" Martha asked as we washed the breakfast dishes Saturday morning. "Are you so greatly disappointed Noah will not be coming over today?"

"No," I said swiftly. "Well, perhaps a little disappointed, but I wasn't thinking about that. I was thinking I need to go into town."

The other woman raised an eyebrow. "But you're going to be there tomorrow."

"Yes, but Noah will be with me, and I have something I must do without him there."

Martha faced me. "You want to speak to the Burns."

"Miss Annie Burns, specifically."

Shaking her head, she turned back to the pot she was drying. "Why? What would you say to her?"

"Well, she is the one who began the story of Noah taking advantage of her, isn't she? Since everyone in town seems to think I need to know it, I think I should hear it from her."

"So, you don't really want to go to town. You want to go to the Burns' homestead."

"Where Mrs. Burns had threatened to shoot Noah if he didn't leave? No, thank you," I said emphatically. "I want to be where other people can see me. Once they know I've spoken to the girl, they'll have to leave me alone."

"What makes you think that?"

"Because then they'll know I've heard the story and don't believe it. What misunderstanding could I get hearing what the girl has to say?"

With a slight chuckle, Mrs. Harper shook her head again. "You underestimate people's ability to think the worst. They'll say Noah has you blinded to the truth, or that you're too stubborn to see what is right in front of you. They might even say you're too desperate to listen."

Desperate. There was that word again and it grated on my nerves. I had never been desperate and I hated that anyone made that assumption about me. They knew nothing about me!

Yet, my brother had known me, and had made the same judgment.

"I would think that in a place where there is so much to do to survive, they would not have the time to speculate and worry about someone other than themselves," I said, throwing the towel with too much force onto the table. "How do they find the time?"

Mrs. Harper let out a laugh. "I do wonder that myself. Perhaps it is the mere fact that is something out of the ordinary for them to talk about."

"So you don't think talking to Miss Burns will do anything?" I couldn't keep the disappointment from my voice. It had been the only thing I could think to do that would help Noah.

"At this point, I'm not sure it would matter much," Martha said honestly. "Will it change how you feel if you hear the girl's story?"

Startled, I blinked. Change how I felt? How did I feel? I was comfortable with Noah, and enjoyed his company very much. Kissing him had been very nice, and I looked forard to doing it more often. Was that love?

Molly had said that my heart was attached when I was in Peru, but I hadn't believed her. I liked Noah, certainly, but love? The thought sent a shiver down my spine. Was this love? To want to be with someone? To enjoy their company? To think about them when I wasn't with them?

I'd been certain that I'd need to hear both sides before I made any decision. That hadn't worked out as I'd thought it would. But Noah's honesty and the support of his closest neighbors hadconvinced me that he hadn't committed the crime he'd been accused of.