20| happy

4 Months After Derek's Accident...

How the hell is Emma already one? A year ago today I had her. A year ago today I was still made at Derek for the crap he pulled on me earlier in my pregnancy. Now look at us. Emma's beginning to walk and talk, and here Derek and I are back together.

So much can change in a year.

"So I found her going through your purse." I turned around in the kitchen and saw Derek holding Emma out to me with lipstick all over her face. "Also, I think you need to buy new lipstick."

"Emma what did you do?" I asked. I wet a paper towel and wiped her face and hands until the lipstick was gone. "Keep a better eye on her next time."

"What are you doing?"

"What do you think I'm doing? I'm making a cake because that's what good mothers do; make their children birthday cakes."

"Stevens's the baker; should asked Stevens to do it so it's actually edible."

I knew Derek was teasing my bad cooking. "You know just for that?" I grabbed a kitchen towel and threw it at him. "Get out of here."

Derek laughed on his way out of the kitchen. I can't believe he thinks I can't make a cake. How hard could it possibly be? If worse comes to worse, I'll just go to the store and buy a cake. But either way, I'm determined to make one because that's what good mothers do and I'm really trying to be a good mom.

Derek went to work and dropped Emma off at daycare while I prepped the house for Emma's little party we're having. We invited all our friends over, so it wasn't going to be a real children's party, but more of a hey we survived the first year of parenthood let's drink and celebrate party. Mom couldn't make it because of her demanding work schedule, but she did send some presents, along with Derek's family too. I'm actually shocked at how well my mother is handling being a grandma. Like I said before, she's a better grandma than she is mom.

Derek came home early with Emma. He had two surgeries scheduled and had to go into one emergency surgery. When they got home, Derek handed Emma off to me, and I went upstairs to give her a bath and get her dress. Once I was done getting the both of us ready, I went back downstairs and brought Emma into the kitchen to feed her. I placed her in her high chair and put a bib on so she wouldn't get her dress all dirty. I then poured some baby cereal on her highchair table and cut up some slices of banana.

"I must say the cake looks good, but the real question now is does it taste good?" Derek smirked at me.

"All that matters is that it's edible." I smirked back. "And tastes okay."

Derek walked over to me and wrapped his arms around my waist from behind as I began plating the food. I felt his lips very close to my ear and I smiled when he whispered, "Just for you to know, tonight we won't be doing much sleeping." Derek kissed my cheek and let go of my waist.

"Who says I'm down for that?" I asked turning around.

"You always are." Derek grabbed a couple of grapes off the table and tossed them into his mouth.

"As long as it doesn't result in making another baby."

On Derek's way out of the kitchen he said, "You have to admit the process of making a baby is fun."

I had to agree. Sex with Derek is very fun.

People began to arrive around seven baring gifts for Emma. During the party, we mainly drank, ate, and mingled. When we reached the end of the party, Derek and I helped Emma open the gifts she received. After that, we lit the candle on the cake I made, and Derek and I, together, helped Emma blow out the candles.

"Happy birthday!" I exclaimed, kissing her on her cheek. "Even though you caused me a lot of trouble, I still wouldn't wish I didn't have you."

When the clock hit nine, it was time to for Emma to go to bed. Mark was the last person at our house since he and Derek were having what I call a bromance. I still can't believe they're friends after Mark deliberately slept with Addison. But whatever, I guess it's Derek's decision who he wants to be friends with, and Mark better as hell not steal my man from me.

I changed Emma into some pajamas and then sat down in the rocking chair to rock her to sleep. I was dosing off myself, but finally after fifteen minutes, Emma was fast asleep, and I quietly left with the baby monitor in hand. I went back downstairs and Mark was now gone. I sat down beside Derek on the couch and rested my head on his shoulder. Derek wrapped his arm around me instead, and I leaned into the side of his body. "Emma's growing up too fast. I can't believe she's one already. Soon she'll be sixteen and driving and bringing boys home."

"Mark and I will keep the boys away." Derek assured.

I smiled. "I hope so. Emma doesn't need to lose her virginity in high school like I did."

"How old were you? No, let me guess, seventeen?" I almost laughed. "No? Eighteen?"

I sat up straighter and smirked. "Fifteen. What about you McNerdy?"

"Did you just call me McNerdy?" Derek laughed.

"I've seen pictures of high school McDreamy and he was no McDreamy."

Derek shook his head at me. "Twenty; I was twenty."

"When you got your first girlfriend, right?" I teased.

I watched as Derek got up from the couch and grabbed a small box that was on the floor. He claimed we forgot to open a present and I rolled my eyes as he handed me the box. "With a box this size, the toy is probably a choking hazard." I opened the box and it held a smaller box; a black jewelry box to be more specific. I looked at Derek confused and he told me to open it. I did and in the smaller box held a diamond ring.

"I'm not going to get down on one knee." Derek told me. "I'm not going to ask a question. I love you Meredith Grey, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

I smiled. "And I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

The next day before we went to the hospital, Derek took Emma and me up to his land. He said he wanted to show us something. I figured he either wants to show us the finished house or the almost finished house. As we drove up to his land, I couldn't help but keep staring and admiring the diamond ring that sits on my left ring finger shining in the sun.

"So you like it." Derek said glancing off that road at me. "Mark told me I should have gone more extravagant; the bigger, the better he says. But I know you, Meredith. You like simple and basic. That's just who you are."

"I do like simple and basic." I agreed. "I'm just a little surprise you took Mark with you."

"He's my best friend, Meredith."

When we got up to the land, I saw that the house seemed to be finally completed. I took Emma out of her car seat and I followed Derek inside. He immediately asked me what I thought about everything he'v been working on for the past year. Derek was good at keeping the construction and design a secret, and I never thought about asking how the house was going mainly because I forgot he was building a house.

"I love it, Derek. And I especially love the fireplace design." I felt Derek wrap his arms around my waist from behind and I turned around and smiled at him. I placed my hands on his belt as I took a step closer to him. "You're a genius."

"And you're beautiful." Derek pulled me closer to him and kissed me on my lips. "God, if Emma wasn't with us, imagine the things I'd do to you right here and right now."

I giggled. "Oh, Dr. Shepherd."

I got on my tippy toes and wrapped my arms around his neck. We kissed and I couldn't be more happy with how my life is going right about now.

It's perfect.

No, more than perfect.

I'm just simply happy.