Chapter 33

Elijah was her saving grace. When she had no friends, she sought him out. Together, they promised to crack the mystery and exploit Alpha Triton for the killer he was.

For a while, everything was okay. They had a schedule. Katie would investigate the pack house, the school and even her father's office for clues. Then, she would sneak out in the middle of the night to report to Elijah. For a while, things went better than alright. 

When his glanced made her body heat up and her lips couldn't help but feel always dry around him, their touches became the keeper of their sanity. She held his gaze, then he held her hand and she curled into him, molding their bodies together as they cuddled on the forest floor. Their love seemed raw and real. 

Elijah had yet to meet his mate and Katie would probably never meet hers due to her latency. They had something better than a mate bond though, they understood each other's loneliness and desire to impact the wolfen community.

Then everything went to shit.

One night, Elijah didn't meet her in the forest and Katie feared the worst. The next day, she met her real mate and just like that, her feelings for Elijah became buried underneath a glass surface of enforced feelings.

The next time Katie saw Eljiah, he was dead and he carried her heart with him into the afterlife. Katie knew, 100 %, that the man behind his death was Alpha Triton. Until his mother gave her that letter.

Don't trust the Alpha.

She thought it meant Triton originally. However, Katie realized how stupid that was. It was Kaiden. The driver was always Kaiden.

What better way to expose the killer of wolves than to enter his pack.

Katie would avenge Elijah's death. She vowed to save him like he saved her.

So while Kaiden thought she loved him, she stole his personal accounts and made copies of them.

Once Katie was done telling her story to the crowd, she gestured to Wyatt who rushed forward, carrying a pile of documents. Both Alpha Triton and Kaiden's eyes grew wide as she passed the papers around for every wolf to see.

Hush whispered rumbled through the crowds before people began shouting and throwing accusations at the two Alphas.

"Trafficking wolves is illegal. Keeping a room locked with chained, sedated suicide wolves is illegal." Katie began, exposing Kaiden's hidden, off limit room. Suicide wolves, she realized, after reading the files, were wolves sent off to battle. If they died, who cared. They were nobodies. While Kaiden's pack grew exponentially, the stolen wolves were sent to battle on Kaiden's behalf, controlled by the Alpha command.

"What do you have to say for yourselves?" The Luna of Triton pack asked, hands on her hips as she stared at the two alphas incredulously. Shock and horror covered her expression.

"YOU BITCH!" Alpha Triton roared. Alpha Kaiden shook his head in shame making Katie's lips twitch upward.

"Death!" The crowd shouted.

Tears fell from the Luna of Triton pack's eyes. Katie's heart prickled at their words but satisfaction overcame her feelings. As far as she was concerned, there was only one person who had truly ever loved her and he was dead.

The person who called himself her mate had hurt her in a dozen and one ways.

"Please no, have mercy," Luna of Triton pack pleaded, though no one seemed to hear her over their screams.

"K-Katie," Kaiden whispered. Even with her wolf hearing, she could always hear his voice. It was deafening, whether she liked it or not.

"I-I'm sorry, Katie, pumpkin, please. Just one more chance." He pleaded.