Chapter 30

The wolves had appeared almost immediately as they felt the end of the Alpha fighting. Triton pack had their heads bowed in submission to their new Alpha and Katie's eyes found her father and mother's wolf forms hunched over.

Something fell over Katie, like a wave upon the sand filling her with more energy and power. She blinked for a second, her animalistic urges threatening to show themselves when she realized it was a lapse of power. The Luna of Triton pack had lost her right to the title and now Katie had the power of two alphas instead of one.

Her body quaked with the new power. It seemed as though only yesterday, her human body was repressed and weak. Now she was pumped and loaded with new drugs that made her head swim with thoughts she had never heard before.

Kaiden shifted pressing a foot to Triton's neck and Katie couldn't help the snarl that escaped her lips as several eyes fell onto her mate's naked body. Kaiden's lips twitched upward as his eyes met hers before his face turned cold and his eyes roamed Triton pack wolves.

"Today, your alpha will die!" He yelled, his voice timbering across the lands.

A growl and protests rippled among the Triton wolves. Kaiden silenced them with a snarl making a timber brown wolf shift.

Katie felt her mouth go dry as she stared at her father who growled menacingly at the alpha.

"You promised to submit or die! You cannot go back on your words!"

Kaiden smirked and flipped his hand backwards, "Yes well plans changed. Your Alpha shall die because my sister died. A wolf for a wolf. Do you propose otherwise?"

Katie fell backwards in shock. She had heard of the dead sister from Wyatt but Kaiden had never told her who had really killed his baby sister. As if a new curtain had been opened, Katie saw Kaiden in a new light.

She met Kaiden as her mate. She had seen him as an Alpha and wolf. But who was Kaiden as a boy?

Guilt pooled in Katie's chest when she realized that she didn't have an answer. Kaiden spent so much time trying to figure out what she liked and how to make her happy that she spent all her time denying him. 

What he had done was unforgivable; however, she had forgotten to ask him any questions back. She only knew the superficial stuff like his favorite color. She mistook those things as really knowing him

Katie stopped trying and she realized that perhaps... Perhaps she gave up on their relationship too quickly.

Alpha Triton let out a low whine from his wolf form below.

"No stop!" Augustus growled and shifted- charging at the Alpha. Without thinking and without hesitating, Katie launched forward, situating herself between her father and her mate.

Katie growled and her father halted in shock. His eyes widened as he stared at his daughter. It occurred to Katie that he had last seen her as a girl who ran away in a tantrum.

"Don't touch him!" Katie surprised herself once again at the vigour and malice in her voice.

Augustus blinked as if he couldn't understand his daughter. He shifted at once and it didn't matter how many eyes were on them, this was a long awaited conversation between her and her father.

"Pumpkin, what are you doing?"

"He's my mate, father."

"You are embarrassing the family, Katie. A second ago, you were begging to come home. Go to your mother."

Katie's cheeks heated up at my father's strict voice. She knew that he didn't mean to hurt her feelings and that he had her best interests in mind but it felt as though everything she said went through one ear and out the other. She needed to try a different tactic. "If you hurt him. You hurt me," She swallowed hard, ignoring Kai's stare into her back.

Everyone ignored the whining of Alpha Triton who had probably composed a pitiful song by now with all his yabbering.

"Katie baby, just come back home to us. Ignore your father. Now that you have shifted-"

Her mom quickly tried to intervene. Katie didn't even know when she had shifted but her father covered his wife's body with his to prevent extra eyes from seeing any more nakedness than they have to.

"Stop it! Stop it, mom," Katie growled in frustration. "I just want..."

What did Katie want? She pondered that question for a moment. Months ago, all she wanted was to die. Then she met Kaiden, her mate and all she wanted was him. Once she got him, in the most unthinkable way, Katie didn't want to have anything to do with him.

Were feelings really that black and white? She loved Kaiden but she didn't. She didn't want Kaiden but she needed him. She loved her mother and father but they didn't truly have her best intentions at heart. They took away her ability to shift away because her alpha thought she was a threat.

"Alpha Triton deserves to die! He killed Elijah!" She screamed, making the pack freeze. A wave of whispers fell onto the crowd as the wolves grumbled to themselves. She knew that they were using the mind link.

Augustus went rigid and his spine stiffened as his eyes widened. Below Kaiden's foot, Alpha Triton began to squirm as if his life depended on it.

"Wh-ho-no he didn't. That was the work of hunters!" Augustus explained though his stutter didn't make his argument very convincing.

Katie rolled her eyes tapping her foot, "I propose a trial. Wolves from both packs can stand as jury to dedicate the future of Alpha Triton."

Augustus fell silent playing out his options and a throat cleared.

"I agree with my Luna," Kaiden's deep voice made Katie blink in surprise. When she turned to look at him, his eyes were on hers filled with trust and understanding.

A hint of guilt stabbed her gut.

"Very well," Augustus finally agreed, nodding his head, "We shall hold council tomorrow morning at sunrise."

Kaiden nodded and just like that, the battle was drawn to a stalemate and close. Katie watched as Augustus took a hesitant step forward to Kaiden so that they could shake hands. When it was done, a ripple of relief flew over the crowd and the Triton wolves began to retreat.

Beneath Kaiden's foot, Alpha Triton began to whine again. "Oh for Moon Goddess sake, will you shut up!" Kaiden growled before two wolves stepped forward to drag Triton to the dungeons.

Augustus sees Katie: Oh honey, bunny baby, Pumpkin boo!

The battle freezes. 

Everyone but Katie: Shit is about to go down.

----

Katie sees Kaiden about to die: Fuck yes!

Kaiden smirks :  Ah so you like to be dominant :)