Chapter 27

Katie looked at the girl who sat besides her. She was a tall girl with red flaming hair and freckles littering her cheeks.

The red girl was about her age and had just found her mate. Terry was in total bliss. "I'm very happy for you," Katie murmured quietly, making Terry's brown eyes sparkle in the sunlight.

"I just don't know how to tell him."

Katie frowned, turning to look at the girl. "What do you mean? How does he not know that he's your mate?"

Terry let out a sigh shaking her head, the smile dropped from her lips. "He's human."

Katie gasped and her hands flew to her lips. Human mates were dangerous. They were unpredictable with loyalties to no one but themselves. That is why wolves kept to themselves.

"B-but he's not like the others," Terry explained in denial.

It was true to some extent of what she was saying. Katie had met Terry when the red head ran into her after rushing out of a coffee shop.

After realizing who Katie was, Terry began apologizing profusely and so Katie took pity on the girl and asked her why she had run out of the shop so quickly. That is when a brown almond skinned man peaked out of the window. He was beautiful with dark eyes and a stunning smile. He called out Terry's name but she ignored him and pulled Katie away.

From the window, Katie hasn't realized that he was human.

"It's okay," Katie spoke quietly with a light Hum as she rubbed Terry's back. "He will love you beyond anything you could ever imagine."

Terry sniffled, wiping her nose on her sleeve, "You think?"

"I know."

Terry smiled in nostalgia, "I see the way you and Alpha Crow are. You two are the perfect couple. I want my relationship with my mate to be like that one day."

The scoff couldn't escape faster from Katie's lips. "We only look perfect because I whip him into shape."

Katie's cheeks reddened in horror as she went over her words. 'Whip him into shape?' Who did she think she was? Who says that about anything anymore?

The giggle that escaped Terry's lips made Katie's shoulders slack in relief."I for one am happy that you are back, the Alpha was intolerable without you!"

Katie grinned, "Thank you! I am too. He still has a lot to learn... he wants only the strongest pack."

Terry's eyebrows furrowed as she looked down at her hands. "How do you think he will react to having a human in his pack?"

"He doesn't have any?" That was news to Katie. Even the Triton pack had a couple humans. Those mate couples were normally casted on the edge of society though.

Terry shook her head,"Maybe one or two. It's hard to tell in such a big city."

Katie nodded in understanding, "You shouldn't tell him."

Terry raised an eyebrow before a dangerous smirk played on her lips as she jokingly asked, "Luna breaking the rules? Aren't you supposed to encourage me to register the name and species of my mate?"

Katie shook her head sorrowfully, "You guys are my pack. I don't want any harm to you or your mate but Kaiden..." she trailed off before sighing, "if he found what your mate was, he would kill him."

Terry gasped with wide eyes, "He wouldn't! He's my mate! He understands how much I need him!"

Katie shook her head again just as Terry bursted into tears. The reminder of how Kaiden dealt with Stephie was still at the forefront of her mind.

"There there," Katie felt herself sigh as she wrapped her arms around the redhead. "I will try to talk to him, okay?" As Katie spoke, she was amazed to find how open members of the pack were with her. As Luna, she assumed that they would be scared or fearful of her. Instead, when she approached them, they greeted her with open arms and large smiles.

She couldn't help but wonder if it was because she was a wolf now.

But she quickly shrugged off the thought because it wasn't like she could change her species. The wolf inside her rumbled- angry for blood.

Ever since she had shifted, sometimes stirred in Katie. The feeling shifted inside her stomach with a hard hotness and it clouded her brain- made it fuzzy and angry.

She would never tell anyone that though, after what her parents had told her, she would be more careful around people. She had always been so desperate for someone to love her that it prevented her from truly seeing the world as it was.

That real world was harsh and bitter. Werewolves may shift into humans, but their society was fully wolven where mercy did not exist. She only hoped that wolves like Terry would never have to come to that realization as well. Bliss is ignorance. And ignorance is paradise.

"He acts so differently around you Luna," Terry whispered as she looked at Katie with wide red eyes. "You can change his mind. I'm sure of it."

Pride was the only emotion that pushed through her body as Katie looked down at the she wolf. She didn't know if she could change his mind, but she hoped that Kaiden would listen to her. Baby steps- she told herself, she wouldn't force Kaiden into submission. But he would eventually stop acting like a monster.

Katie sat with Terry for a little while longer until the redhead had composed herself and left for work. As Katie sat on the bench, she wondered why she hadn't talked to pack members before. They were amazing and so much more interesting than the superficial wolves in the Triton pack.

Most of the Crow wolves acted like humans. In a big city- they had no choice but to blend in. Katie realized after chatting to some waitresses in a coffee shop that they had almost all but abandoned their lupine qualities.

She had barely heard any growls. It was as though they were actually human yet her wolf could sense that they were part of the pack.

It was unnerving and the idea settled unaware in Katie's mind.

Eventually the sun began to set and she knew that she had to go back home. Her wolf clawed inside her- she wanted to shift, the urge was almost overpowering but she couldn't. If she let the beast out, Katie was worried that she would hurt some of the Triton pack members. That would be horrible and the thought that her wolf was that insane my Katie clench her hands on her knees in anger.

As she stood up, a coldness settled in the air like a thick fog. Blinking, her wolf took over her human form with yellow eyes as she scanned the horizon for any interloper.

The smell of pine filled the air and her shoulders relaxed slightly as she made out Wyatt's figure. Wyatt seemed like the only good one in this entire Territory. After what Kaiden did to her, Wyatt was there for her. He was the bright light in her dark night.

"You scared me for a second there," She said quietly.

He cracked a small smile as he swaggered forward, "My apologies, dearest Luna." He bowed exaggeratedly but when he straightened, the smile fell from his face.

Wyatt's serious expression made Katie's palms grow cold and sweaty.

"What happened?"

Wyatt shook his head looking away from her, "It's Kaiden. We need to go to him. Please help him."