Chapter 25

For a while, Katie was in denial. Half of her saw Kaiden for what he was. The other half of her saw Kaiden as her soulmate, the one who completed her. She couldn't let him get hurt, but if she protected him, then Elijah's death would be in vain.

She was wrong to think that Kaiden would give her any special treatment because he is her mate. He treated her like a wolf in a pack. She still had to earn her place among them and despite his speeches, she was not his equal. With a sad whine from her wolf, Katie realized that she never really knew Kaiden at all. She didn't even know what his favorite color was!

As she followed him into the building, every bone in her body yelled at her to run. She didn't want to be anywhere near Kaiden after what he did to her. But she couldn't bring herself to voice her sadness as she stared fiercely into his eyes.

"What was that about?"

"What do you mean, Pumpkin?" Kaiden asked, making Katie shake her head in disgust at the words. Her nose wrinkled.

"How could you kill that poor wolf?"

"Poor?" Kaiden growled before slamming his fist on the table, "poor? I just got you back- no one is taking you from me!"

Kaiden walked around the desk, blocking Katie's view of the messy papers that littered the surface as she approached.

"You call me your equal," she growled, "And yet you treat me like an omega. I'm just the same fragile human you always thought I was."

Kaiden opened her mouth to deny the accusation but Katie continued, "I'm stronger now. I have a wolf and I don't need you to bully people into respecting me. What you did tonight was unforgivable."

"He deserves it," Kaiden responded quietly making Katie scoff before pointing a finger at him, "You," she trembled, "-you are no better than Alpha Triton. You are no better than the Alpha I ran from in the first place."

Kaiden blanched at the words as fear began to tangle itself in his chest. No. She would not leave him. She couldn't leave him.

"You are not going home," he replied sternly, making his mate's eyes narrow.

"Do you even hear what I am saying?"

"This is your home now."

Katie gulped at the statement, she didn't think this could ever be her home. Not after everything that happened here. "You are no better than Alpha Triton."

Kaiden snarled, "That man killed his own pack members. He killed my sister- my child sister. He has targeted my pack for generations and I will not stand for it!" His loud yelling ricocheted off the walls slapping Katie in the face. She knew that Triton had killed Kaiden's sister but she never really knew how much the pack suffered from it.

"I am nothing like him."

"Then stop killing pack members," Katie lifted her chin, "or you will have no fighters left for the battle." Turning around on her heel, Katie left the room in a rush. When she finally closed the door behind her, it was like she could breathe again. Letting out a sigh, she rushed back up to the bedroom. She needed someone to talk to.

Making a quick decision, she picked up the phone and before she could think anymore on the decision, she dialed her home number.

The phone picked up on the second ring.

"Hello?" A familiar gruff voice answered.

Katie let out a sob, "Daddy?"

The voice was silent on the other and she could faintly hear shuffling before her father's voice sounded more crisp.

"Katie? Katie Pumpkin is that you?"

Katie modded before realizing that her father couldn't see her.

"Yes, father. I miss you, I miss you guys so much."

"I know. Shh I know," Beta Storey's tone was calm and reassuring, "we are coming to get you okay. Don't worry, Kaiden Crow will not get away with this."

Then her father paused, "is this a secure number? Can you tell me where you are?"

Katie looked around at the lavish bedroom biting her lips, "I'm scared," she responded instead.

Beta Storey hissed before letting out a breath, "I know. We are coming, okay pumpkin? Just hold out a little bit longer. I love you."

"I love you too, father."

Then her dad disappeared from the phone and a loud beeping replaced his voice as he hung up.

Her father was coming. She would see her family again! But what did that even mean?

But she knew what it meant without hesitation. Her pack was going to attack the Crow pack.

It seemed like war at this point was inevitable.

Katie could only hope that whatever side won was the right side. Glancing outside the winter, the sky was turning darker. It appeared as if her entire life cumulated up until this moment. If Katie was going to fulfill her mission, she had to do it now. 

What did you think?

A little a/n: it would be so frickin amazing if you could smash that star for me!!!