Chapter-14: Dammit.

"Avoid envy, for envy devours good deeds just as fire devours fuel"
(Abu Dawud)

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

✨Bismillah✨

If you haven't offered your salah and it's salah time then please pray and then return, do not delay your prayers.

。⁠♡------------------ ♡⁠。

ADAM

"I was thinking if I could take Maira to college tomorrow... I am anyway going to the same place" I say clearing my throat nervously.

"Of course you can, son and you don't have to ask" Her baba says calmly.

"But it's fine for me to drop her. The college is just on my way. You don't have to worry yourself over that" Usman says skeptically.

I think of ways to convince him when baba speaks again "Oh come on Usman, cut this boy some slack for being Maira's husband"

Usman shrugs in response though his eyes are trained on me. Wallahi, Usman is more intimidating than his own father.

I look around the living room for my wife when I hear soft voices from across the kitchen. Apparently I had been dropping off Maira to her home for quite a few days now and today her baba spotted me out and invited me over for dinner. I was thinking I could pick Maira from her home early tomorrow and we'll get to spend sometime before our classes start but I didn't expect her brother as well to be present today.

"Adam why don't you go freshen up yourself and take some rest until dinner time" Mama says while she and Maira enter the living room.

A soft smile comes up to my life on seeing Maira again "Yeah Mama sure, I'll just go up then..." I trail off standing up and looking at Maira, silently asking her to accompany me.

"Maira go and help him out" Mama speaks looking towards Maira.

"Shukran mama" I show a grateful smile to her to which she nods her head reassuringly and smiles.

"I wonder whose characteristics your brother has" I say quiet enough for Maira to hear once we reach the stairs.

Maira looks at me with puzzled face "Your mother and your father both have a lovely aura around them but your brother scares the shit out of me" I say chuckling lightly.

"I wonder what has caused you to say this" she says mocking my previous words.

"He wouldn't let me take my own wife to the college" I whine playfully.

She chuckles "Of course he didn't"

"Okay I might slightly be acting as a hypocrite now because I am as skeptical as him with Yusuf" I reply scratching the back of my neck.

"I would never understand the protectiveness of you brothers" she shakes her head opening the door to her room.

"You act all mean with us yet you are not okay if our own husbands ask to take us out for once" she laughs.

"It's just a brother's thing I guess" I shrug.

"I'll get some clothes from Usman till you get showered" she says turning back to the door again.

"It will fit you, wouldn't it?" she continues.

"It will, but you don't have to hurry yourself out" I say grabbing her hand and stopping her from going out of the room.