Chapter-27: Uncertain.

"People will not sit remembering God without the angels surrounding them, mercy covering them, peace descending on them."

(Muslim).

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

✨ Bismillah ✨

If you haven't offered your salah and it's salah time then please pray and then return, do not delay your prayers.

。⁠♡------------------ ♡⁠。

ADAM

I shut the car off and climb out of it, impatient to meet my wife. It's been two weeks since Usman's reception and we've been getting a little to no time at all to spend with each other.

Baba let's me in, telling me that Maira is in her room upstairs. I greet mama on my way and hurry up to her room.

A distant "Yes" comes in from inside the room as I knock. A frown comes up on my face seeing Maira sprawled on the bed with her face pressed into the pillow.

She is never gloomy, let alone in the middle of the day.

I walk in slowly towards her and remove the hair out of her face. "Salam" I whisper from behind her in her ear.

She jerks her head in surprise towards me and sits up abruptly "Hey, Walaikum assalam."

She doesn't smile immediately on seeing me as she usually does instead, she lets out a shaky breath making me deepen my frown.

"What's wrong?"

She shakes her head and smiles, a hesitant and an almost forced smile "I just didn't know you were coming"

"I was thinking, we could go out somewhere today?" I ask a little uncertainly. Something was obviously not right and she was not telling me what it really is.

"Ofcourse, I'll get ready then" she says getting up from the bed and going inside the bathroom without another word.

An ill feeling settles in my gut, thinking of what might be going inside Maira's mind and what might have caused her to draw back from me.

(⁠◍⁠•⁠ᴗ⁠•⁠◍⁠)

The ride goes by silent- utterly silent, not even Maira asking me where we are going and this makes my stomach twist in the ugliest ways.

She just sits there beside me in the passenger seat, giving me small smiles occasionally, which I'm sure are not genuine.

I exhale audibly and grab her hand from across the console and entwine our fingers. She squeezes them, assuring herself or me- I'm not too sure.

I make a turn towards her favourite restaurant which is unsurprisingly a small, warm and cosy place, and nothing too fancy or prodigal. It's a place on the far end of this town so there are mostly very less people around.

We had been here in the first week of our marriage, Maira had liked it instantly, not just because of the food but also for the homey atmosphere here.