04

I walked to the apartment complex May and Peter were staying in. I took an elevator to the 4th floor and made my way to their apartment. I rung the doorbell and was greeted by Peter.

"Makayla, hi." He said, a smile forming.

"Hi." I say. He invites me in and I take a seat on the white couch in front of me.

"Not to be rude or anything, but why have you invited me here?" I ask.

Peter sighs, taking a seat next to me. "I heard how you stuck up for me today." He says. "I'm grateful, considering I don't have too many people in my corner right now."

"Of course, Peter." I say. "You're my friend."

"I sure haven't been acting like it." He says. "Ever since the snap, things haven't been the same. I'm sorry, Makayla. I've really missed you."

"I've missed you, Pete." I say, pulling him into a hug. "And for the record, I don't believe anything they are saying about you."

"Thank you, you have no clue what that means to me." Peter says.

"So what're you going to do about all of this?" I ask.

"I don't know." Peter says truthfully. "There's nothing I really can do. I'm just trying to live my life as normally as possible. I'm hoping I can still get into college...you know, considering the circumstances."

"MIT, right?" I ask. Peter cocks his head in question. "I know that's always been your dream school."

"Yeah, I'm hoping I haven't wrapped Ned and Mj up enough to hurt their chances at getting accepted either. No pun intended." Peter laughs.

I look at him. "Peter, you're a hero. Anyone with half a brain can realize that. I don't know what happened on that bridge, and I don't think that I care to know. But I do know that you saved a lot of people that day. The world owes you more than it could ever offer."

Peter smiles at me. "How can you still be the same Makayla after all this time?"

"Because when I had nobody, I still had you." I say. "And when you feel like you have nobody, you'll still have me. I promise."

Peter smiles and hugs me again. "Thank you, Makayla. For everything."

"Always." I smile into his shoulder.

A moment later, May comes bustling in.

"Peter, I just-" She stops mid-sentence. "Makayla, hi!" She greets me with a warm smile. "I was hoping I'd see you."

"Hi May, how are you?" I greet.

"I've been better." She admits. "I'm just glad to see you hanging with Peter again."

"Of course, he's my built in best friend, right Pete?" I ask. Peter nods.

"Well, I really should be going. I have to make some food." I say, standing.

"No, please stay." May insists. "I was just about to make grilled chicken, that's still your favorite, right?"

"You know me too well, May." I smile.

I stay for a delicious meal I feel like I haven't had in years. May and Peter insist I stay the night because it was too late to leave. But I didn't feel good leaving my apartment unattended, it wasn't in the safest part of town.

"At least let me suit up and escort you home." Peter says. "Are you afraid of heights?"

I nervously chuckle. "I can walk Pete, I'm fine." I say.

"No, let me swing you home. It's faster and safer." Peter insists.

After much arguing, I agree.

Peter suits up and leads me to the balcony window.

"Hold on tight, spider monkey." Peter says, pulling me close.

I close my eyes, feeling the cold New York air collide against my skin. I felt like I was floating. I managed enough courage to open my eyes. We were so high above the city. The lights, the buildings, the people, it was beautiful.

We made it back to my building and Peter dropped me off.

"I better go, before someone sees me." Peter says.

"It's okay, thank you." I smile.

"Anything for you." Peter says, before swinging off into the city.

I enter the building and make my way up to my apartment building. I open the door and make my way to my bedroom before collapsing onto my bed.

The night had went better than expected. Maybe Peter being Spider-Man wasn't a bad thing. At least I had my best friend back.