09

While Peter and Dr. Osborn continued to work on the so called "cures", I stayed with May and the rest of the villains. It was good to see May again. I had really missed her. She became not only a mother figure to Peter, but to me as well. 

"How have you been, Makayla?" May asks me, grabbing a few glasses from the cabinets. 

I contemplate telling her the truth. "I'm okay." I answer somewhat honestly. 

"That's good." She says. "I'm glad you and Peter are getting close again. I know he's missed you. Sure, he's had Ned, but I think you know him better than anyone else ever will." 

I nod, filling a glass with water. I turn to the octopus man. "Salt or fresh?" I ask.

He gives me a confused look. 

I feel my face turn red. "Um...you know, because you're an octopus?" 

His face turns from confused to annoyed. 

"Fresh it is." I say, handing him a glass. 

One of his "hands" take it and he sips on it lightly. I observe the two other villains admiring the view of New York. 

"It's weird, isn't it?" May asks me. 

"What's weird?" I ask, grabbing myself a glass. 

"Norman being back." May says. 

I fill the glass with water from the sink. "Yeah, having someone who looks and sounds exactly like my father is just a little weird." I say sarcastically.

"Stupid question." May says. She takes off her glasses. "I know he isn't your real father, but this could be a good thing for you." 

I take a sip of water and raise a questioning eyebrow. 

"You can finally say your goodbyes." May says. 

I pause, taken back. I hadn't thought about this. I shake my head. "It won't be the same. My goodbyes won't mean anything to this Norman because he wasn't my Norman. My goodbyes were supposed to reflect all of the memories my father and I made together, they were supposed to let him know that I would be okay without him, that he could let go.  No matter how much I want to tell my father these things, I know I won't get a chance to." 

May sighs, placing a hand on my shoulder. "I know, Makayla." She pulls me into a hug. "I'm so sorry."  

"Makayla," Peter calls from the other room. "Can we get your help in here?" 

"Go, sounds important." May says. 

I walk in to see Norman and Peter standing above a computer, analyzing the coding for a microchip. 

"We've nearly completed the chip for Dr. Octavius, but we can't seem to get the final touches right." Peter says. "Mind taking a look?"

"Sure." I say. Norman and Peter step aside and let me take a look. Upon first glance, it seems perfect. The coding, database, all the symbols seem to be in perfect order. I decide I need to do some digging into the software. I move the layers of the microchip around until I reach the main server.  

"Ah ha!" I say, bringing the server into larger view. "You have a corrupted code embedded within the servers mainframe." With a few tweaks and maneuvers, I restore the code and put a firewall into place to prevent future corruption.

"There you go." I say, stepping back. The words "Diagnostic Complete: Chip Functionary" flashes above the computer. 

"Thanks." Peter smiles at me.

I walk out to rejoin May, but I overhear Norman talking to Peter. 

"She's a genius." Norman says. 

"Yeah she is. She's top of our class." Peter says. 

Norman sighs. "Peter, tell me, according to laws of science, I'm not supposed to be here, right?"

"Right." Peter says.

"But I am here, along with the others." Norman says. "Do you think there's any possible way Makayla could be my daughter?"

Peter sets something down. "I've known her my whole life, Norman. Her parents and May were good friends, she remember's her mom being pregnant with her. I don't think she's your daughter." 

"But their birthmark is exactly the same." Norman says. 

"Crazier things have occurred, trust me." Peter says. "It could all be just a strange coincidence." 

"Maybe..." Norman says. 

Suddenly, my phone begins to ring. I look down to see Mj calling me. I answer. 

"Hello?" I ask. 

"Makayla, hey." Mj says. "We may need some help here. We're at Ned's grandmas." 

"What's wrong, should I bring Peter?" I ask, growing nervous. 

"No, no." Mj says. "But we could use some help. Can you be here soon?"

"Yeah, I'm on my way." I say. "Text me the address, I'll be there soon."

I hang up the phone and pop my head back in Peter's spare room. 

"Hey, I'm going to meet up with Mj and Ned." I say. 

"Okay, be safe." Peter says. "Call if you need anything."

"Will do, Spider-Boy." I laugh, walking out. 

I walk over to May and hug her. "I gotta go, please be careful. You are in a house full of criminals after all." 

May laughs. "I will, but I should be the one telling you to stay safe." She says. 

"I know, I just can't lose anyone else." I say into her shoulder. 

"I know, honey." May says, stroking my hair. "I'm not going anywhere anytime soon." 

"Good, I don't know what I'd do without your homemade meatloaf." I laugh.

She laughs with me. "Go on now, go help your friends." 

I pull away from her. "See you soon." I smile.

"See you soon." She agrees as I shut the door behind me.